Day 24: To Las Cruces - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2012

Day 24: To Las Cruces

I got away from the motel at 9:15. It was sunny but the northwest wind was still very strong. Temperature in the 40's.

The ride started with a 400 foot climb to warm me up. Then a gradual but very cold 10 mile descent to the Rio Grande valley. At the intersection with highway 187 I stopped at an RV park to take shelter in the warm store and drink hot chocolate. A couple miles down the road I finally warmed up by sitting on the sunny side of a building that blocked the wind.

I never got close to Caballo reservoir which is a large lake on the Rio Grande. It looks very muddy.

Caballo reservoir.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I crossed the Rio Grande 3 times. It's not a very impressive river because so much water is pumped out to irrigate farms and supply the city of Albuquerque.

Rio Grande not looking very grand.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I passed many miles of Pecan orchards. Also a few cotton fields. I passed many chili pepper companies, indicating that the bare fields grow chili peppers during summer.

Pecan grove.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI remember biking past those pecan groves. :)
Reply to this comment
1 month ago
Bare cotton field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nothing grows here without irrigation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There aren't many services along highway 187. Hatch is the only decent size town along the route south to Las Cruces. It's a farm town and it appears that most residents speak Spanish. Hatch chili peppers are well known throughout the southwest.

Many signs are bilingual. I think most farm workers speak Spanish as their first language.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highway 185 through pecan groves.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pecan groves are irrigated by flooding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Adobe house with the Organ mountains in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was surprised how little traffic was on the road when coming into Las Cruces on highway 185, Valley Drive. I got a room at the Day's End lodge. $34. The temperature warmed up to 55F when I arrived in Las Cruces at 4:30 PM.

Today was cold and very windy, but it was tolerable with sunshine and a tailwind. It would have been miserable with a headwind. It was an easy and fast day thanks to the tailwind and mostly flat terrain.

Distance: 80.6 mi. (129 km)

Climbing: 1212 ft. (367 m)

Average Speed: 15.7 mph (25 km/h) !!!

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 1,303 miles (2,097 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0