Day 21: To Faywood hot spring - Southwest U.S. Coast-to-Coast 2012 - CycleBlaze

March 17, 2012

Day 21: To Faywood hot spring

My original plan was to stay on the ACA Southern Tier route and go north from Silver City through the mountains to Gila Cliff Dwellings. But a big winter storm will arrive this evening, forecast to bring 10 inches of snow to the mountains. I didn't want to risk biking the mountain roads on snow, or hemmed in by a snow bank created by plows. And I don't want to camp high in the mountains during a storm because it would be too cold. Instead I will go southeast from Silver City to visit Faywood hot spring. It's slightly lower elevation (5020 feet), in the Mimbres river valley.

The morning low temperature was in the upper 30's. I got on the road at 10 AM. No hurry because today will be a short easy day. First I pedaled east on US180 for 10 uphill miles to the village of Central. Then southeast on US 180, downhill to Bayard and Hurley. I had lunch in Hurley.

The wind was blowing very strong from the southwest-a crosswind while going southeast, but a strong tailwind when going east. The sky was sunny but the temperature was only 60F. Much cooler and windier than yesterday.

Looking back while leaving Silver City.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The landscape is wide open desert. I could see distant mountains in several directions. But the valley is flat and wide, with nothing to stop the wind.

South of Silver City, on the road to Deming.
Heart 0 Comment 0

14 miles past Hurley I turned left (east) onto highway 61 which goes upstream in the Mimbres valley. From there it's only 3 miles to Faywood hot spring.

Mimbres valley.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yucca plants started to appear recently.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Faywood hot spring has a large property. The hot water source is 130F, so it must cool in the hilltop tanks before people can soak in the water.

Faywood Hot Spring property. The white tanks cool the water to a temperature tolerable for soaking.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Faywood hot spring recently reopened after being closed for 5 years. The landscaping needs work but the hot pools are all in good working order. I got a campsite for $19 and set up my tent where it would be sheltered from the strong wind. Open areas had blowing sand.

Faywood has three main soaking areas. Two of the areas are open to day visitors. One is clothing-required and one is clothing-optional. Each area has 3 soaking pools at 3 different temperatures.

Gates to the two public soaking areas. Each area has 3 pools with 3 different temperatures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clothing optional soaking area.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The third soaking area is in the middle of the campground and is only open to campground guests. This area is also clothing-optional. The wall makes it a nice refuge when the wind is howling.

The walled pools in the campground are for camping guests only. These are also clothing optional.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Whimsical family of anatomically correct tin men. On roller skates.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I arrived at 2:20 PM and had plenty of time to rest, soak, and do chores. I cooked dinner in the clubhouse. My stove would use far more fuel out in the wind. The evening wasn't exactly cold, but the wind was very annoying.

Distance: 33.1 mi. (53 km)

Climbing: 893 ft. (271 m)

Average Speed: 11.9 mph (19 km/h)

Today's ride: 33 miles (53 km)
Total: 1,155 miles (1,859 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0