Day ride to Trotternish - Northern Britain 2005 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2005

Day ride to Trotternish

After breakfast we left for a cycle tour of the Trotternish Peninsula, the northwest sector of Skye.  We were open-ended in our goals, which possibly included a 50+ mile circuit of the peninsla.  In the end we went about 45, all on the eastern side, cycling to Quaraing and back along a great series of natural delights: the Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, and Quaraing.  We took an hour or so for a walk up to Storr, enjoying wandering around and below its wierd rock formations.  The ride back again to Portree, under partly sunny skies and a strong tailwind, was a total delight.

For dinner we ate at a small fishhouse on the waterfront near the hotel, after first walking about a mile and a half to check out the menu at the Cuillan Hills Hotel - very expensive, too high class.  We had to wait outside on the quay for an empty table, but our meal was fine.  It's definitely an authentic fresh fish establishment - during dinner, a fisherman and his daugher, fresh from the boat, brought in the day's catch.  Shortly afterwards, an uproar was caused by a young woman who had followed the fisherman in, grabbed one of the lobsters, and liberated it in the bay.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 703 miles (1,131 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0