Up North by Train - Single-Track Mind - CycleBlaze

Up North by Train

Inverness

Three of us are venturing to Scotland and it feels like it's going to be an adventure. 

The plan is to ride on small, single track lanes, and far away from the busy routes as much as possible. Simple.

Debbie and I see Dave in the morning, just after 9.00am, when his train briefly stops at Saxilby, where we are staying with my daughter. We try to chat through the thick glass. 

We all couldn't get on his train - not with bikes - and ours leaves a few hours later.   

Heart 0 Comment 0

The rail journey north to Scotland actually takes the same amount of time as our flight from Dubai.   

For eight hours we sit in cushioned seats looking out of the train window, watching the weather perk up the further north we speed and marveling at our luck, gormlessly believing the forecast of more of the same for the following few days. 

What nonsense that turns out to be. 

As we get into the Highlands, patches of snow can be seen among the rounded peaks.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Dave meets us on the platform at Inverness just after 8.00pm and leads us over a footbridge spanning the wide river and then down the road lined with guest houses.  It is gone dusk and the water shimmers under the dull light. 

Our place seems to be the last one - an imposing, stone Victorian place with a steep pitch to its slate roof and a high gable looming over the front door, which is inside a church-like porch. We can see right away it is a decent place. 

Ann our host welcomed us in and asks what time we want breakfast: 8-ish. A garage at the back is where we safely store the three bikes overnight. She says they'll be fine.

After a quick wash we stroll back the way we'd come and find an India restaurant  up some stairs, in the town center, and eat well and sup a pair of chilled Cobras.

The tour starts tomorrow and it promises to be a good one.

Today's ride: 3 km (2 miles)
Total: 3 km (2 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0