Day 2: Carpinteria to Leo Carrillo State Park 52 mi. - Jack and Janet - Santa Barbara to San Diego - CycleBlaze

May 10, 2012

Day 2: Carpinteria to Leo Carrillo State Park 52 mi.

We knew this trip Was going to have some stretches of urban riding with times of little interest. Today was such a day.........for the most part.

Last night we had great neighbors. A family from Germany. Mom, Dad,
daughter 6 and baby brother 1 yr. They too are going to San Diego. Then
driving to WA and riding down to SF where they started. We were both
concerened about the homeless at this camp sight. I had the most amazing dreams of homeless taking over the sight 'Roman style as in baths etc'surrounded by tons of dogs and slave women. Turns out the only visitors we had was one homeless guy and a pack a large city raccoons.

Starting off we did have some excitement leaving Carpinteria ....you go just 2.25 mi to the end of Carpinteria Ave and you turn Left onto 101 Hwy!! Now that was exciting...we were advised by a local cyclist to get on the Hwy stay right and get off at the very next exit..go down the ramp then get on again. This would take us around the construction. What great advise as there was no shoulder on this large curve with those cement walls on one side and cars going 70+ on the other.

We made it to Ventura and found a great local coffee house that is a WARM SHOWERS host. You can pitch your tent in their enclosed patio area and use a shower. Sandbox Coffeehouse - Thompson Blvd 805-641-1025. Great coffee and GRILLED cheese sandwich.

We continued through what seemed like any CA urban town for 20 mi. We then came to a large Naval Base that went on for miles. Finally we made it to Pt Mugu and we were back on the coast. We saw dolphin, whales and surfers. Felt good to be on the coast and even the hills felt good.

Ladybug found on the beach stunned from cold salt water.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sunset in Carpinteria
Heart 1 Comment 0
Must be careful at all times
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the beautiful urban sites today!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break we were protected.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just saying!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers of the day...clippings to take home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Home tonight.....beautiful trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 74 miles (119 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0