Dress Rehearsal - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2022 to August 6, 2022

Dress Rehearsal

Back to that question of whether or not our setup will handle the items we need for our long trip ahead . . . what better than performing a dress rehearsal?

Our time constraints limited our choice of days to do this dress rehearsal trip, so we took off in another heatwave.  Why not?!!  We loaded the tandem with everything that we are planning on taking on the Saint Malo to Nice adventure.  It all fit just fine.  We designed a route taking us into the Pyrenees so we could figure out how we feel climbing and descending.  There's so much to learn!

So, in 90 degree and rising temperatures (it'll be cooler up high, right?) we set off for a 4 day/3 night trip.

Climb #1 of Day 1 - Col de Marrous continuing up to the Col de Peguere
Heart 3 Comment 0

This ride is a regular route which we do on our road tandem.  Somehow this time it took a lot longer than we're used to.  

View from the Col de Peguere looking towards the Pyrenees
Heart 5 Comment 0

Okay, first climb done.  Now to descend - no problem, right?  It's just a 3 kilometer descent between 12-18% before we hit the main road down to the village of Massat for lunch.  For those of you who watched the 2022 Tour de France, this descent is the Mur de Peguere that the tour climbed before finishing Stage 19 in Foix.  

Climb #2 of Day 1: Col du Saraille
Heart 2 Comment 0

From here we had a gentle descent down into Oust where we ended the day at a nice little hotel arriving before the thunderstorm.  It started to sprinkle while we were eating dinner on the terrace.  The showers helped to cool it down for the evening.

Stats: 53 kilometers with 1,241 meters of elevation and some lessons learned.

Climb #1 of Day 2: Col de la Core
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a warm night's sleep and some cleaning of the brake pads and discs, we took off on Day 2 which really tested our ability - 4 cols!  Who planned this route anyway?  Temperatures were rising early on, but the scenery was spectacular.

The summit of Col de la Core
Heart 3 Comment 0

Man that was tough.  Boy oh boy was it warm.  We did it!  Oh, there's 3 more to do . . . 

Climb #2 of Day 2 - Col de Portet d'Aspet
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we rode this route in April, it was so much easier!  When we reached the summit, our Garmins read 42C.  It was HOT and water wasn't available as the café was closed.  Oh well, water will be available at the village at the bottom of the descent.  And it's another steep descent.  

Climb #3 of Day 2: Col de Buret
Heart 4 Comment 0

I didn't know this little col was in today's route.  My plan was for us to climb 3 cols, but this guy snuck in.  Did I mention that it's getting really warm out?!!

We did make it up Climb #4 - the Col des Ares - on Day 2.  We had to because our inn was at the top of the col.  However, the col sign was 25 meters beyond the inn, so the picture had to wait to the next morning.  We were very tired, very hot, and we were done!  Time to sit under the trees and have a cold refreshment and ponder.

Stats:  73 kilometers and 1,865 meters of elevation with more lessons learned

Climb #4 of Day 2: Col des Ares
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a good night's sleep and cooler weather, we started day 3 with the photo needed from yesterday.  The skies stayed gray most of the day which was a blessing.  Every time the sun poked its head out, it got hot quickly.  

The Couseran area is beautiful
Heart 4 Comment 0

Our day started with a great descent down to the valley floor.  Then we had a bunch of ups and downs throughout the day.  It was a much easier day than the previous two!!

View from our table on the terrace at lunch
Heart 2 Comment 0

Normally we carry our lunch goodies with us, but we decided to try stopping at a café to have lunch.  It was a great setting by a river where we watched a heron fishing.  The lunch was quite tasty, but another lesson learned.

Stats:  79 kilometers with 735 meters of elevation

The Voie Verte
Heart 3 Comment 0

Day 4 was an easy day home, as it should be.  We rode along the Voie Verte all the way back to Foix.  As long as we stayed in the trees, the temperature was lovely.  

Picnic along the trail
Heart 2 Comment 0

Even though we were getting close to home, we wanted to enjoy our last picnic lunch on the trail.  We made it home before it got to hot and were pleasantly surprised how cool it was in the house.

Stats:  54 kilometers with 366 meters of elevation and another lesson learned

Lessons learned:  

  • The items from our packing list fit in the panniers and bike frame bags - yeah!  
  • No need for front panniers.  
  • The tires Chuck chose for this trip are going to work great on pavement and gravel.  
  • When touring one has the time to smell the roses.  
  • Climbing takes a lot longer.  
  • We don't like touring in extreme heat.  
  • We don't like descents that are 17-18%.  
  • We prefer picnic lunches vs. café lunches.  
  • But best of all . . . we learned that we like this touring game!!

We are ready for our big adventure!  And we're already thinking about where the next one will take us.

Today's ride: 259 km (161 miles)
Total: 259 km (161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Ilene OlsenI’m excited for you two and best of luck on your adventure. I finished mine a week ago Saturday. It was a good feeling - 4300+ miles 😎
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi Sanna,
WELCOME!
To Cycleblaze, to cycle touring, to France. You’ve chosen well in all three and I wish you well. If ever you need help, just ask. Someone on this platform will have an answer.
One thing I might check is putting the bags on the front rack and leaving the rear empty. This is how I load my single, and it might not work for your tandem, but it really improves weight balance . The back wheel is far more heavily loaded than the front even with the bike empty. Regular « rear » Ortlieb panniers work fine on my racks. You may find it helps, or maybe it doesn’t make any difference. One difference in packing, though. Side to side balance is more important in front, as I’m sure you’re aware. But please, it’s just a suggestion. Do what suits you. One of the joys of bike touring is to do as you please.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
rod dayReally looking forward to the "story" of the adventure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Keith KleinThank you, Keith. Interesting idea … we’ll have to play with it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a tough ride and in the heat! You shouldn’t have any problems on your tour.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago