Day 4: Chalonnes sur Loire to Fontevraud - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2022

Day 4: Chalonnes sur Loire to Fontevraud

Today’s plan includes seeing vineyards, churches, the Loire, chateaux, and making sure we have a picnic lunch. It’s Sunday and lot of things are closed; you can’t rely on restaurants or boulangeries to be open.

Before leaving Chalonnes we followed our chambre d’hôte host’s advice and popped into the local boulangerie for a sandwich and a couple of cookies. Perfect picnic material. Then, we said our goodbyes and pedaled off in the 16C weather. 

Goodbye Mme Perrault and La Maison Beausoleil
Heart 4 Comment 0
Goodbye Chalonnes sur Loire
Heart 2 Comment 0

The roads were quiet and covered with dew. It was cool, but not cool enough to wear arm warmers.  Today’s route starts off following the Loire and is green and lush.  We rounded a corner and came across our first chapel of the day. It was locked, but zoom in close and look at the faces above the door.

The Chapelle Sainte Barbe des Mines
Heart 3 Comment 0

This area is riddled with old coal mines. 

Our first glimpse of vineyards.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After leaving the chapel, we rounded the corner and saw our first vineyards. 

And more vineyards
Heart 1 Comment 0

Both sides of the road are in vines. Chenin is the predominant grape. 

A little chateau along the route
Heart 4 Comment 0

And luckily I clicked the camera right as we passed the front gate to a small chateau that houses a winery. 

Old tower used in coal mining
Heart 2 Comment 0

The tower has a pulley up high and was used to raise and lower things into the mine shaft.   The shaft went down 85 meters and then, they dug additional incline tunnels to a depth of 200 meters.  It was closed down in 1963. 

Tailings from the mine in the forefront and the Chapelle Sainte Barbe des Miners in the background.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spent grapes
Heart 2 Comment 0

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out what these piles were … the smell was the give away. 

Grapes as far as we can see
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cabernet Franc
Heart 2 Comment 0

One of my favorites. 

Sunday is a hard day to visit churches, but we made it work
Heart 1 Comment 0

The doors were open. The acoustics were really good. 

Interior
Heart 3 Comment 0

Interesting to see another white interior church. 

Riding along the Loire
Heart 2 Comment 0

It’s lovely riding along the river. The roads are quiet, but this department needs to learn how to do chip seal better. Surfaces are getting rough. 

Vines as we enter Brissac
Heart 1 Comment 0

Brissac is added to our list to visit again. We want to tour the chateau. It was closed between 12 & 2.   That’s when we were there. 

Chateau in Brissac - a must see.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Mo SchwartzThat looks worthy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

But we must continue on. There is so much to stop and see today and unfortunately it’s one of our longer days in the saddle. 

Fields of sunflowers in full bloom - even in September.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were so surprised to see sunflowers in full bloom this late in the year. There were several fields adjacent to vineyards as we rode by.  

About 45 kilometers into our ride we were starting to get hungry. We passed a sign for a dolmen, so we turned around and went in search of it. Next to the dolmen was a picnic table … perfect lunch spot. The folks down the lane from us stretched out on the ground for a nap after their lunch. 

Dolmen de Estiau’s south entry
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dolmen de Estiau’s north entry
Heart 5 Comment 0
An amazing rock - do you see a face?
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonLooks like a toad.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mo SchwartzHow’s my face get on that rock?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

There was so much to see along today’s route. 

Quiet roads
Heart 2 Comment 0
A river barge dry docked
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church in Cunault - has the longest span without transepts in France
Heart 5 Comment 0
The unusual organ
Heart 3 Comment 0
A chateau in Cunault - privately owned
Heart 5 Comment 0

We couldn’t resist the sign about a cave. The gates were open and the sign indicated a restaurant was inside and if you were curious, you were invited to enter. We parked the tandem and went for a walk into the hillside. 

Les Caves aux Moins
Heart 4 Comment 0
Carved pillars
Heart 2 Comment 0
Farm implements in the cave
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wagon wheel
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bar inside the cave!
Heart 1 Comment 0
And the restaurant inside the cave.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Beyond the restaurant the caverns were filled with mushrooms!  But wait … a bit further down the road we saw this:

A mushroom museum built in the caves!
Heart 1 Comment 0

If only we had more time. We passed up this opportunity because the hours were ticking by.

More vineyards!
Heart 2 Comment 0

More roadside scenery to share. 

Sadly, we spent too much time playing on today’s route that we didn’t have time to visit the Abbey in Fontveraud this trip. I find it a fascinating place - King Henry II (England), Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Richard the Lionheart are buried here. I’ve always love Eleanor!

A quick peek at the Abbey in Fontveraud.
Heart 6 Comment 0

Tonight’s accommodations are a bit funky:  Chambre d’Hotes de Chez Mimi.  Dinner was at the local’s favorite: Le Délice, where fish was consumed by both of us. 

Day 4: Chalonnes sur Loire to Fontevraud l’Abbaye
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mo SchwartzSecond fish dinner for you this trip!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats:  91.2 kilometers 559 meters elevation

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 605 km (376 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0