Day 25: Castellane to Nice - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 25, 2022

Day 25: Castellane to Nice

Slowly we made our way out of our cozy hotel and back on the road. I say slowly because we were waiting for the roads to dry a bit - it rained throughout the night - and for the car rally to set off. We’re sharing the first 2.5 km with them as we leave town. 

Hotel du Commerce
Heart 2 Comment 0
See you next time Castellane
Heart 2 Comment 0

After 2.5 kilometers and the ‘race’ cars setting off on their route, the road became quiet leading up to our climb of the day. 

The sky is beginning to brighten
Heart 3 Comment 0
Notre Dame du Roc in the sunshine
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at Castellane - that’s the Notre Dame du Roc that we could see from our hotel room
Heart 3 Comment 0
Just another beautiful morning
Heart 4 Comment 0
Col de Luens
Heart 3 Comment 0

It’s a col, but there’s still another 3 kilometers of climb to go. After that we will have a gentle incline until 40 kilometers into the ride. Somewhere along the route we will reach 1,188 meters before we descend to the Mediterranean. 

It’s so green up here in the high meadow
Heart 3 Comment 0
Blue skies made us really happy
Heart 2 Comment 0
A new solar farm is being installed
Heart 3 Comment 0

Cycling along this high meadow was such an enjoyable time. The temperature was perfect in the sun. The scenery was eye-pleasing. The traffic was minimal, although we saw a lot of mushroom pickers out. The perfect Sunday ride!

Bison on the reserve
Heart 1 Comment 0
Horses on the reserve
Heart 0 Comment 0
The start of our descent to the Med - the Clue de Gréolières
Heart 4 Comment 0
Exceptional road - used in movies (think 007)
Heart 1 Comment 0

Now the fun begins. Great descents through amazing canyons. Thanks to our friends, Smith & Claude, we are familiar with these descending and winding roads. 

The Clue de Gréolières
Heart 6 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then we came to one of our favorite waterfalls. 

Cascade des Courmes
Heart 5 Comment 0
Water cascading over the very top
Heart 5 Comment 1
rod dayamazing rock formations
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Informational sign in the tunnel with information about when and by who this road was constructed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cliffs along this stretch of canyon
Heart 1 Comment 0

We refilled our water before finishing the descent and had a great conversation with a local rider. He was fascinated by the tandem and our trip. It was fun sharing our experiences. 

We continued down and after another long stretch of quiet roads, we started to come upon civilization. We were blessed with bike routes as we entered the more populated areas, but still traffic wasn’t bad at all. Construction interfered with our Garmin route,  but we saw where other bicycles had ridden and followed their tracks. These led us directly to the Med and the wonderful promenade. 

Our first sighting of the colorful Mediterranean
Heart 4 Comment 0
Our lunch stop
Heart 4 Comment 0

It was sunny and breezy. When we looked behind us to the mountains, the skies were very dark. We decided it was best to not hang around too long, just in case those clouds came our way. When the thunder rumbled, we hit the road again - there’s only 10 kilometers left to go. 

We made it!
Heart 6 Comment 0
With the Statue of Liberty
Heart 5 Comment 1
kath vowlesPerfect place to finish, congratulations, I'm glad that you have had a great experience and that almost everything went according to plan. When will you be writing the book "Travels with our Tandem"🍾🥂😊
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Now we had to figure out how to get the bike down to the Med. We could only find stairs and it was a bit crowded as the UTMB Nice Ultra race had just finished shortly before our arrival.   After some googling we discovered it was a 25k, 50k, 100k, and 100 mile trail run.   

But we have to put the front wheel in the sea
Heart 4 Comment 0

We found stairs and a wonderful guy helped Chuck lug the tandem down. Then we rolled it across the rocks …

Mission accomplished
Heart 6 Comment 0

 But, now, how to get it back up on the promenade?  We unloaded the bags, Chuck carried the tandem up, and I carried the bags. Easy!

We found an Irish Pub and had a celebratory Guinness. 

Tasted great!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierWell earned!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

And while we had our beer, the skies let loose. The rain came … and then left as quickly as it had come. 

Since I had cancelled our hotel earlier this week, now it was time to find a place to sleep. We walked by a couple and decided against them before coming across the Albert 1er Hotel. Nice (and affordable) room and Chuck liked the beer menu next door - 29 micro brews on tap. 

We split this flight
Heart 3 Comment 0

After settling in we found a great lasagna for dinner and finished the evening with a walk along the promenade. 

The Med at high tide this evening
Heart 3 Comment 0

Delightful day. And we’re feeling great!

Day 25: Castellane to Nice
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stats: 91.5 kilometers 867 meters elevation

But it isn’t over yet … we have one last climb tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 1,935 km (1,202 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
rod dayLoved ever page of you blog & the wonderful photos. Look forward to the next one!!!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierA great trip and a great journal! Thanks for letting us follow along!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Cara JonesGreat to follow you guys! what a trip, 'felicitations' and look forward to seeing you back up the road..
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Dave VowlesTo rod dayThe next one? I'd heard that you'd decided to carry on to Sicily so you can stay in the good weather - you really don't want to be in France this week! Well done: 2000km, that's half a tour de France! and that's good going in anyone's riding log. See you when you get home :-)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago