Day 17: Vallon Pont d’Arc to Châteauneuf-du-Pape - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2022

Day 17: Vallon Pont d’Arc to Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Today gave us a new experience, and a mystery you might be able to help us solve. 

The morning sky is a beautiful blue but Mother Nature has a surprise in store … our first experience in a Mistral.  The wind from the northwest is cold!  After donning our arm warmers, we began the 20 minute warm up before the big climb of the day - up the Gorge d’Ardèche. 

Leaving Vallon Pont d’Arc
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beginning of the Gorge d’Ardèche
Heart 3 Comment 0
The first of 3 short tunnels
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking back on the Pont d’Arc
Heart 4 Comment 0

This stretch brings back memories of last year when our friends, Smith & Claude, introduced us to this place. We celebrated my birthday on the beach below the Pont d’Arc then.  Fun time!

We were down there just a bit ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
We bagged another col with a little bit of help from the Mistral
Heart 3 Comment 0
First Belvedere view
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bike parking
Heart 2 Comment 0
What you can’t see is the wind!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking down on the Ardèche River
Heart 2 Comment 0
Can you see the vehicle in the canyon wall?
Heart 4 Comment 0

There’s a lot of interpretation that can be done with this wall. I also see a house and Chuck sees a chateau.  It’s kind of like looking at clouds. 

The goats are still here!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Traffic jam!

The baby didn’t look both ways before crossing
Heart 2 Comment 0
A bend in the river
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of the end of the gorge
Heart 1 Comment 0
A turpentine tree
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saying goodbye to the Gorge d’Ardèche
Heart 2 Comment 0

Well that short stretch of road took us 2 hours and 45 minutes. There were multiple places to stop and look at the scenery; we enjoyed it tremendously.  However, any time off the tandem we had to be careful to not get blown over. The wind was wicked!!!!

Fun fact: We started and finished the gorge at the same time as a particular tour bus. The French ladies on the tour thought it was really funny.

Onward, but we weren’t in a rush because we couldn’t check into our chambre d’hôte until 5 pm. 

One way bridge at Saint Martin d’Ardèche
Heart 5 Comment 0
Our first sighting of the Rhône River
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s big!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking at the huge church in Pont Saint Esprit
Heart 3 Comment 0
After many winding roads, we found Prieuré Saint Pierre
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s closed for lunch, but this is what it looked like from the glass front door.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bell tower
Heart 2 Comment 0
View from up high
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picnic spot
Heart 2 Comment 0
So comfy in the vineyard
Heart 2 Comment 0

We tried to find a spot a bit sheltered from the wind to enjoy our picnic lunch of fougasse and Suisse triangle (pastry). This vineyard fit the bill.  

Mystery time: While sitting we noticed something that seemed quite odd to us. Each row of grapes had both red and white grapes in it. 

Red grapes
Heart 1 Comment 0
White grapes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Red & white planted side by side in the same row
Heart 3 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESIt's a natural "rosé" :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Every row had a mix with no specific order. Why?  Any ideas out there?  Our host is a sommelier and we plan to ask her, too.   But would love to hear what you think. 

After lunch our route took us along the Rhône for quite a few kilometers. We passed a large nuclear facility bordered by nasty looking fences that had signs posted saying no photos. So, being law abiding residents we didn’t take any photos. 

The second mystery of the day came when the trees took the river out of our sight and there was a huge noise - sounded like a jet flying along the river. Not a military jet, but a passenger jet. We wondered if we were near a major airport … it was just plain strange and out of place. About 5 minutes later we could see the river again and noticed train tracks on the other side. Just as I commented on the tracks, a high speed train went by.  Traveling at 250-300 kilometers per hour makes a heck of a noise!!!  No wonder the TGVs slow down when near civilization!

Next we saw a barge going down river. It was extremely long.  We think it was carrying gravel.  It was moving along faster than us even with our huge  tailwind. 

A barge loaded with gravel (we think)
Heart 3 Comment 0
And it has cars on it!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A blue bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0

For quite a while we were riding along and we could see just the top of this blue bridge above the tree tops.   Nice to see the whole bridge. 

A passenger boat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Later we saw this passenger boat going up river. We since learned it holds 200 passengers. 

Apparently we passed that first barge when it was using another channel of the river. Here it’s coming into the lock while we were stopped at a red light before we could cross the barrage (dam).  

The barge pulling into a lock
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing a barrage on the Rhône
Heart 2 Comment 0
About 20 kilometers out from Chateauneuf du Pape we encountered a bike path.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Great bike path
Heart 2 Comment 0
Up close and personal with the Rhône
Heart 3 Comment 0
Maybe it wasn’t smart standing there taking pictures - it was really creaking with the wind gusts!
Heart 2 Comment 0
The wind isn’t bad in the trees
Heart 1 Comment 0

These river access points were really nice and well off the main road. It was too cold to consider a dip today. 

Goofing around
Heart 4 Comment 0
All alone on the bike path
Heart 4 Comment 0
My shot of a chateau across the river
Heart 3 Comment 1
kath vowlesIt is easier to spot the chateau in your's Sanna, good view of the river from Chuck's
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Chuck’s shot of the same chateau
Heart 2 Comment 1
Dave VowlesClearly, yours is best because it has the framing of the shrubbery in the foreground and Chucks is best because it is an unadorned shot of the chateau across the river.... Well, what did you expect? Stop asking questions to which we can't possibly give a honest answer...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Competition time - who has the best photo?

No longer a bike path, but it’s a bike freeway (based on size, not traffic)
Heart 3 Comment 0
And another chateau along the river
Heart 3 Comment 0
So many places to go …
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finding our way thru the vineyards to town
Heart 1 Comment 0

It was a great day on the bike. That 40-60km tailwind really helped.   We were most thankful it was a tailwind because it would have been really difficult fighting a cross wind or a headwind. 

We checked into the Wine B&B and are lucky to be her only guests for the two nights. After getting settled in, we found dinner at Le Mule and enjoyed an entree of tuna tartare with grilled foie gras, and plats of risotto with shrimp and chorizo (for Chuck) and risotto with white fish (for me).  We shared a tiramisu for dessert.  All was accompanied by a nice bottle of red. 

Obligatoire!
Heart 3 Comment 2
Dave VowlesAh - Domaine Pontifical - an excellent choice, we know it well - I still have a few of their 2015 in stock as they used to be at the Toulouse Christmas wine fair pre-covid, we'll have to see if they are back this year so you can stock up!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyOh, but wait until you read the next day … a must is in that story!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Day 17: Vallon Pont d’Arc to Chateauneuf du Pape
Heart 2 Comment 2
rod dayAll you blogs are great but this is superb & with fantastic pics best so far!!!!x
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyThanks, Rod. Must’ve been because we were going slow so as to not arrive before 5 pm. The tailwind was messing with our timing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats: 89.2 kilometers 935 meters elevation

Today's ride: 89 km (55 miles)
Total: 1,530 km (950 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Rich FrasierI don't know if it explains the airplane, but there's a surprisingly busy military airport just outside of Orange. I was pretty amazed at how much air traffic was going over us in that area on our Via Rhona trip last year.

And I'm not going to get involved in picture competitions! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Vernon PhinneyMaybe the vineyard that had both red and white grapes in a row was one that made rose wine
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith KleinHi,
Here’s my guesses on the mysteries.
1) Grenache comes in both red and white varieties. Those might be grown in the same vineyard. Here in Burgundy we sometimes see Pinot gris vines among the Pinot noir. A certain percentage of pg is allowed in pn wines. The business of mixing red and white to produce rose is an American idea and only for very cheap wines. Real rose is made by only allowing contact with the skins for a short period in a vat of red grapes. In fact in champagne they make white wine from Pinot noir ( blanc des noirs) by not allowing skin contact at all .
2) The air base in Orange is home to a fighter squadron as well as the Patrouille de France, the Air Force exhibition team. Other larger airplanes, tankers and transports, use the base as well.
Those are my best guesses.
Lovely tour, by the way. Having ridden many of the same routes you have taken, I’ve been following along reminiscing.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago