Day 16: Villefort to Vallon Pont d’Arc - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 16, 2022

Day 16: Villefort to Vallon Pont d’Arc

It was a brisk morning as we set off from Mas de l’Affenadou following the group of hikers down the hill back into the village of Villefort. But feeling cool didn’t last long since the first 2 km out of town made for a steep climb before it settles into a nice gentle climb.  We passed an English couple who were touring, too, and they’re headed to Nice as well.  However, they’re camping along the way and had a story about not closing the rain fly before a storm hit. Their adventure made me happy we’re doing it the east way - warm beds and someone cooking our meals!

As you can see, we’re climbing up into the forest
Heart 2 Comment 0
Col du Mas de l’Ayre
Heart 1 Comment 0

Third col of this trip. No fear, there are more to come. 

View from the top
Heart 2 Comment 0

The Cévennes region is beautiful. 

Why does touring feel so free?
Heart 4 Comment 0

All we worry about is … the weather … how tough are the climbs or descents … will there be a boulangerie open to grab a picnic lunch … and we wonder what site or experience will materialize today. Yep, it feels pretty free out here on the road. 

A Protestant Church (round)
Heart 2 Comment 0

Apparently there aren’t many Protestant churches in the smaller villages. This one is in Les Vans, but it was locked up so we couldn’t view the inside. The round building was intriguing. Legend says that the Protestants built it that way so the Devil has no corners to hide in. 

Valley floor outside of Les Vans
Heart 4 Comment 0

If you zoom in on the hillside, you’ll see how the rock layers formed. From a distance it looked like someone took a comb to the landscape - perfectly straight lines. 

Beautiful road down below - we don’t get to ride it
Heart 3 Comment 0
Sté. Philomène Chapel
Heart 3 Comment 0
A mural inside a bus stop
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Java on the rocks
Heart 2 Comment 0

Following the Route de Païolive - rock formations would make the perfect game of hide and seek. It would be so easy to get lost in this labyrinth of rock. 

It’s a trail - honest
Heart 2 Comment 1
kath vowlesNow what does this remind me of, getting lost in labyrinths, that never happens!!!🙂
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Clambering around in bike shoes
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bear & the lion kissing
Heart 5 Comment 0
Scenery along the route has changed
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back into wine country
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the stunning rocky scenery, we popped out into the vineyards of the Ardèche.  We happened upon this crop that was being harvested and stopped to take photos. The vineyard owner invited us into the vineyard and taught us how the machine harvests. We’ve done ‘vindage’ before - hand cutting the grapes from the vine with our pruners.  The machine straddles the row of vines and drives down while shaking the vines. The grapes fall of the stems into its holding tanks. 

Harvesting merlot
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the harvester
Heart 2 Comment 0
Leftover after the machine passes
Heart 2 Comment 0

Then the harvester dumps the picked grapes into the wagon for transport to the sorting facility. 

The big dump
Heart 3 Comment 0

Such a unexpected event.  The  vineyard owner spoke only French but was very courteous and made sure we understood each process.   We were even given some grapes to eat - direct from the vine. They were so sweet!

Moving along we saw more vineyards and followed the Chassezac River. Traffic was minimal which was a pleasant surprise. 

Today’s picnic spot
Heart 2 Comment 2
kath vowlesThe previous bus stop would have been better/prettier🙂
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTrue - prettier. But too early in the day and on a busy highway. This one was quieter.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Inside the village church in Chandolas
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clock given to the church - the mechanisms were fully intact
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Chassezac River
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our road and the new river were following
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coming into Ruoms
Heart 3 Comment 0

That bridge is called “Pont des Brasseries”. The road through town had quite a few brasseries along it. We focused on the artisanal ice cream instead.  We were only a few kilometers from Vallon Pont d’Arc now. 

Upon arriving at the hotel, Le Clos Charmant, we realized that we were too early to check in.  We took advantage of the extra time to tune up the tandem. We thought about swimming in the pool, but the shower room was locked. We didn’t think it was a good thing to jump in with the road debris on us.  So we just hung out in comfy chairs in the shade and relaxed. 

After our usual routine of showers and laundry, we wandered around town and enjoyed a cool beer. We caught up with that English couple again and chatted about alternatives to tomorrow’s route.  We looked for a low key restaurant for a light dinner.  Chuck had a salad and pizza and I had a salad and pasta. 

Another great day. But I’m starting to worry that we don’t have the next trip planned … I think I might be hooked on this touring thing!

Day 16: Villefort to Vallon Pont d’Arc
Heart 0 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESAnne and I don't have a tandem, but we'd be game for touring with you sometime. Doing it your way: hotels and someone else cooks :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats: 61 kilometers 501 meters elevation

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,441 km (895 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierIt sounds like you’re having too much fun out there! Love the pictures and commentary!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago