Day 12: Gramat to Entraygues sur Thuyère - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 12, 2022

Day 12: Gramat to Entraygues sur Thuyère

The newest heatwave is supposed to hit today - we anticipated mid-30s Celsius. And today is a LONG day in the saddle. As we start out I sort of feel like I got up on the wrong side of the bed - feeling a bit down because of the weather change on this long day. Or maybe I’m just tired. 

See you later, Gramat
Heart 2 Comment 0
Large solar farm just outside of Gramat
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenery has changed
Heart 2 Comment 0
Église Saint Pierre d’Assier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Assier’s church was built by a chief of the artillery
Heart 2 Comment 0
Carvings of cannons and guns being carried over the Alps
Heart 1 Comment 0
This carving was the center of 1 of the 4 chapels in the church
Heart 2 Comment 0

After our brief stop in Assier, we resumed pedaling.  We’re trying to keep stops to a minimum in an effort to beat the heat. We stumbled across this chapel that is one one of the Chemin de Compostela routes that offered fresh cold water, and picnic tables for lunch. I filled the water bottles while Chuck waited. Several randonneurs arrived and took the table. We settled for the bench in the shade. 

Lunch spot
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chapelle de Sté. Madeleine
Heart 4 Comment 0

Lovely frescoes filled the chapel’s ceiling. 

The Lot River
Heart 4 Comment 0
Chateau on hilltop
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inviting river - the Lot
Heart 4 Comment 0

The temperature readings from our Garmins were showing 38-39C. What water we had in our bottles was quite warm.   Did I mentioned that this is a long day in the saddle. 

Quaint village where we searched for water
Heart 4 Comment 0

We found cool water at the lavoir and guzzled a bunch. Amazing how refreshing that can feel. Onwards …

Paradise in sight
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then my captain saw this spot and the tandem turned in. The humans went right over the cliff edge and into the water. 

Chilling down
Heart 5 Comment 0
Feeling good again
Heart 7 Comment 0

We went in up to our knees and washed the arms and faces. We briefly considered a swim, but decided we’d better hit the road. The hours were passing. 

The trout that sings
Heart 4 Comment 0
Amazing buildings along the route
Heart 8 Comment 0
Posing along the Lot
Heart 4 Comment 0
Wishing we were swimming like those folks
Heart 7 Comment 0
Home sweet home for the night
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stayed at the Hotel de La Rivière. As we pulled up out front the propriétaire came out and said ‘I don’t have to ask who you are!’  We dropped our bags and parked the tandem in the garage. After a quick shower we went and hung out in the pool.  Dinner at the hotel was exceptional even when we were demi-pension. I need to try making vegetable clafoutis!

The Thuyère River
Heart 6 Comment 0

It was a good day, but a bit warm and a bit long. Happy to be clean, relaxed, and off the bike for a night.  By the way, I was feeling a lot better than I did in the morning. Nothing like a bike ride to clear the clutter in the brain. 

Day 12: Gramat to Entraygues sur Thuyère
Heart 0 Comment 2
Dave VowlesGlad you're both still hanging in there - cooler weather on the way from mid week.

Oh, and in case you hadn't heard, Queen Elizabeth II died last Thursday - it's all over every news bulletin, but you're a bit off-grid so I just thought I'd mention it.

I'm also liking the look of the bumps on that route chart between 40 and 70km - how are the brakes (and your legs) doing?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Sanna PhinneyTo Dave VowlesBrakes and legs are doing great.

Yes, we heard about Queen Elizabeth II. When we were having our pizza dinner in Brantome, there was a lady there crying all through dinner. When we walked out Mom text me the news and then I understood why that woman was in tears.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Stats:  104.4 kilometers 1,041 meters of elevation. 

Today's ride: 104 km (65 miles)
Total: 1,187 km (737 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
susan maaschlong day with the heat. love that area!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierOuch! That was a hot one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago