Day 11: Les Eyzies to Gramat - Our Very First Big Adventure: From the Channel to the Med - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2022

Day 11: Les Eyzies to Gramat

September 11 is a special day for us. 20 years ago this was our very first day in France. Our friends, Barb & Lew, had twisted my arm and convinced me we’d love cycling in France. Fast forward 20 years and we live here!  I did a lot of contemplation on this during today’s ride. 

Once  again, we are completely off route from the book. We’ve spent a lot of time over the years riding in this area and know it quite well. So, once again trying to avoid riding over 100k and keeping to new roads, we set off on our adventure of the day.

Bidding farewell to Jan and Ruud
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today’s Sunday … so we grabbed a sandwich and pastries at the boulangerie on our way out of town. 

Goodbye Les Eyzies - until next time
Heart 6 Comment 0
It’s going to be a good day
Heart 3 Comment 0

We think it’ll be a quiet day with no real distractions along the route. We’re happy to be on the quiet and less-traveled roads bypassing the busy tourist towns of Sarlat and Souillac.  Then we found our first surprise of the day, the village of Meyrals must have had the fete last weekend and the remnants were scattered about the field. 

Scary crows
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Chuck-crow
Heart 5 Comment 0
La Dame
Heart 4 Comment 0
L’horloge
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Sanna-crow
Heart 5 Comment 0
The farmer & his trusty dog
Heart 6 Comment 0
The bird … I think
Heart 1 Comment 0

After wandering around the field of scarecrows, we went into town. Such a cute Dordogne village. 

The pretty village of Meyrals
Heart 5 Comment 0
Yesteryear Meyrals
Heart 4 Comment 0

This photo was posted outside the town church. We worked our way back from the church so the same location. The little building in front no longer has a dormer window.  Cameras have improved too; we can’t seem to get the same looking distance. 

Meyrals today
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rich FrasierThat’s pretty dang close, though!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
So peaceful until …
Heart 1 Comment 0

Once we rode into the outskirts of Souillac, traffic felt frantic. Souillac is along the autoroute, too, which adds to the heavier traffic. After a kilometer or so (felt like more) we jumped onto a beautiful bike path and we’re able to ride it for quite a long time. 

A solitary bike path that saved us from the busy main roads
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Dordogne from the bike path bridge
Heart 7 Comment 0

Once we were back on regular roads, we came across the second surprise of the day.  The Garmin told us to turn left and this was sitting on the corner.  

Surprise #2
Heart 3 Comment 1
CHRISTOPHER JAMESAnyone offer you some wine, cheese, chocolate? :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had to stop and check it out up close!

I can’t remember what it was … I’d never seen the name before
Heart 4 Comment 0
Ford
Heart 1 Comment 0
Peugeot
Heart 1 Comment 0
Triumph
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ford
Heart 1 Comment 0

Okay, back to riding. Chuck commented that one of my farm roads didn’t show any cyclists riding it based on the heat maps. Did I make a mistake?!  Funny thing was that we were riding on a fully signed bike route.  Then we rode into the village of Milhac and I said, “we’ve been here before”. Sure enough we’d ridden this road back in September of 2020 when we went to the officially cancelled 2020 International Tandem Rally out of Salviac. Only 4 couples went and rode the routes that year. 

Milhac - didn’t recognize the village name, but I knew I’d seen this before
Heart 5 Comment 0

We didn’t venture through the church because we did it last time. Onward!

Today’s picnic site
Heart 3 Comment 0
Love the look
Heart 3 Comment 0
Cross honoring woodworkers
Heart 2 Comment 0

Melancholy is setting in - we’ve been in this area of France several times , but always with our friends Barb & Lew. The funny thing is that I realized we were here with them the first time 20 years ago - okay, we’re off by two days - September 13, 2002. 

A very special spot to us
Heart 6 Comment 0

Barb & I went to this moulin and saw a demonstration- she translated it for me. 

Barb & Lew - just for you
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cool bikes!
Heart 5 Comment 0
A café that served me my first citron presse
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rocamadour
Heart 7 Comment 0

Temperatures are rising, so we didn’t spend time here. We still have about 10k to finish.   We arrived and had an air conditioned room and a great dinner. 

My salad
Heart 5 Comment 1
susan maaschyum! so dordogne!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Chuck’s Cocotte du Rocamadour (special cheese)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chuck’s plat - potatoes and morue and cheese
Heart 3 Comment 0
House speciality- sauerkraut with potatoes, sausage, magret, and confit.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hotel Lion d’Or in Gramat
Heart 3 Comment 0
Day 11: Les Eyzies to Gramat
Heart 2 Comment 0

Stats: 84.4 kilometers 1,286 meters elevation 

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 1,083 km (673 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0