Not To Belabor the Point, But.. - Grampies' Road to Ruins Winter 2018 - CycleBlaze

December 31, 2017

Not To Belabor the Point, But..

It may be pretty obvious and trivial that Canadians will always be looking to travel South around this time of year, if they are looking for a place to cycle. Trivial as it may be, it did not stop us from psyching up for a big bike ride today on the Trans Canada Trail, on the part nearest our house. 

We really wanted to do this, firstly because we have been off the bikes too long and seemingly can not wait another few days. And we really wanted to ride with Joni and Naijah, who are heading back to Belize tomorrow. We felt it could work out, because temperatures have moderated to just above freezing, and both main and secondary roads are free of snow.

So I spent some time making sure all bikes were in good order, and loading them onto the van for the 15 km hop over to the trail. Then we all bundled up in down and wool, with thick gloves. We were pumped and ready to go!

We would start our trek at the Kinsol Trestle, and see how far we could get, in the direction of Lake Cowichan village. I was surprised to find that Joni had never been to the famous rebuilt railway bridge. As we rolled along I kidded her by pointing out that we were heading deeper into the temperate jungle. In this I was trying to build up the sense of adventure for our little trek.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The problem was we were heading into the jungle. And when we got to the trestle access trail this really hit home. The whole scene was covered in snow. There was absolutely no way a bike ride was happening today.

Intrepid cyclists arrive at the Trans Canada Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Well hell, bikes are for wimps, anyway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We put a brave face on it and started to walk. After all,walking is the purest form of self powered travel. Even though we know cyclists claim to get tired, they are probably just cheating by using their sleek machines. That seems an ironic twist on the arguments about bikes and e-bikes!

Not your ideal cycling path!
Heart 0 Comment 0

On foot, the distances seemed impossibly long, especially slogging through snow. That's because they were! After not so very long we retreated, and repaired to the Drumroaster Cafe. Drumroaster has the best coffee anywhere. What a civilized way to end our sad retreat. 

To help us feel even better, the pharmacy next to Drumroaster had all its Christmas chocolates on sale for 1/2 price. Brandy filled chocolate beans help us to wish everyone today a Happy New Year!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0