Day 9 Hailey - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2018

Day 9 Hailey

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Hailey, Idaho 

Super foggy and cold this morning! We made ourselves some breakfast and savored the cabin for a bit longer, sipping our tea and coffee as we waited for the fog to dissipate a bit. It was a balmy 35 when we left. It was still fairly foggy, but was starting to lift. We rode down the dirt road for 3 miles, then got on the main road towards Sun Valley/Ketchum and Hailey. The first 15 miles of our day was all uphill, gradual for the first 10 miles, then steeper as we headed up to the 8701 ft Galena Pass. We stopped after about 8 miles for a snack break and Jon went foraging. He walks a few feet off the road and grabs the first banana he sees and declares it wild caught. He finds food in the weirdest places. That and a little chocolate and we were ready to climb to the pass. It was chilly with snow lingering on the ground, but the climb kept us plenty warm. We suited up at the top though, as we had an 8 mile, 6.5% grade descent down twisting hairpin turns. We flew down at about 30mph at times. At one point we did have a truck with camper pass us on a curve, of course with a car coming the other way. Sheesh. Then a relatively flattish downhill to Hailey with spectacular views of the Sawtooth Range. Just north of Ketchum, there was a bike path paralleling the road so we hopped on that and enjoyed being away from cars. A few miles before that, a Rav was passing another car coming the other way, headed right for us! Jon was tempted to lob his water bottle at the guy, but why waste a water bottle?! We were seriously diggin’ being on the bike path. We cruised past the multi million dollar houses in the Sun Valley area, then past the mobile home park south of Ketchum. Interesting contrast. We got into Hailey around 2:30 and found our Warm Shower host house (the same folks who let us stay in their cabin up north.) We showered and hung some gear out on the line to dry and headed out for some lunch. We walked up to the Power House, a bike shop and pub with fantastic burgers and salads. And beer. 😄 After that, we went shopping for food for the next few days. While we were in the store, it started to downpour outside. Bummer. The woman in line in front of us offered to drive us back to the house. Awesome! We got back and immediately pulled all of our gear off the lines...most wetter than when we’d hung them. Oh well. There’s a nice porch here to hang it all out. Should be dry by morning. 

Early bed after a little stretch session.

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 3,264 miles (5,253 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0