Day 58 Lake Eaton - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2018

Day 58 Lake Eaton

Black River Bike trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not more gravel!!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Tupper
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Eaton
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lake Eaton Campground Adirondack Mountains, NY

Up and packed and at the breakfast buffet by 6:00. We knew we had a long day today and wanted to get in as many miles as we could before it was outrageously hot. The start of our route took us through central Watertown, then along the Black River. There was an awesome bike trail along the river that we got to follow for 6+ miles. Great way to start the day. And actually, 95% of our route today was smooth road and decent shoulders! 🙌🏻 We hit one construction section on a back road that was large gravel, but it was a short 1/4 mile. (I approach every “Construction Ahead” sign with a bit of trepidation; you never know what that will bring!) As we climbed into the Adirondacks, we saw beautiful forests and lakes. We had some decent climbs, one we had to walk up for 1/4 mile, but we got some nice descents too. We stopped a few times to refuel, once at Raquette River Brewing where Jon decided that a nice cold brew would keep him motivated to do the last 22 miles. We arrived at the campground around 6 and found a nice wooded site. We fixed up our dinner and headed up to the shower house. There were 6 ladies/kids waiting in line for the Women’s side. Jon waltzed right in to Men’s with no waiting. So...I snuck in and joined him. The stalls were completely separated, so it’s not like the one guy that was in there would know! The only sad thing was we had no control over the water temperature and it was hot. Too hot. But hey, we were clean, just not necessarily cooled off. We strolled down to the lake, then back to our site. Jon did a little bike maintenance while I journaled and swatted mosquitoes. Why do they like women more than men??? Into the tent at 8:00...we were tired and it didn’t take long til we were both out. 

Today's ride: 115 miles (185 km)
Total: 415 miles (668 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0