Day 56 Napanee - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2018

Day 56 Napanee

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wormhole to Grafton Vermont.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Napanee, Ontario 

Up and ready to go when the breakfast buffet opened. Beautiful sunrise over the city. We inhaled breakfast and grabbed a few goodies for the road. We had a couple of route options today and decided on a coastal route. We thought we could go on Rt 7, but that was a major thoroughfare (think interstate), no bikes. So, we landed on the “old” Rt 7 that went south to Lake Ontario. It was an okay road, but had peculiar shoulders. At some points, the paved portion was 5 ft wide, then it would narrow to barely 6 inches. Invariably this would happen on an uphill. Not sure of the logic of this design, but whatever. Infrastructure dollars are tight. We stopped at a cool place called Primitive Designs that had some gigantic dinosaur sculptures made from a variety of machine and car parts. There were also huge slabs of wood, drift wood chaise lounges, tiki bar furnishings and all sorts of funky home decor items. Good thing we were on bicycles or we might have spent some money. Once we made it to the actual lakeshore, we took a break in Couburg, had some snacks and watched some sailing lessons got my on in the inlet. On our way through town, we cut through a development that looked modern day colonial. Pretty cool looking actually. After our break, we cruised along the lakeshore, sometimes with a bike lane, sometimes with a gravel shoulder. We almost stopped at a food truck, but we only had $6 Canadian, so that wasn’t gonna work. They take debit cards, but for whatever reason, we can use our debit card in an atm, but not in a business...”not accepted”??Instead, we went further to a sandwich shop that took credit cards, where we were also able to fill our bottles with ice water. Temperatures got to high 80’s, so we were toasted. About 20 miles later, we stopped again, this time at a McDonald’s. #anyportinastorm We were able to get more ice water and the manager gave us extra large ice cream cones. We eventually made our way to a motel in Napanee, arriving around 6. We quickly showered so we could get to the restaurant across the street before they closed. It was a typical diner; we order the fish and chips and a salad. It wasn’t half bad. As we were walking to the register, the cook had put an order of poutine on the “ready”counter. Jon asked the waitress what it was and she literally stopped and stared at him, mouth agape. I laughed out loud; her expression was priceless. Fun place. After dinner, we crashed, as usual. It was a long day!

Today's ride: 102 miles (164 km)
Total: 584 miles (940 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0