Day 54 Orellia - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2018

Day 54 Orellia

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bruschetta??
Heart 0 Comment 0

Orillia, Ontario 

Tim Horton’s for breakfast today (there’s at least one in every sizeable town here,  like Starbucks in the US). Then a ride along the coast to Collingwood at the SE end of Georgian Bay. Huge coastal town with a nearby ski resort, so year round activities. We took as many side roads as we could through town to avoid the busy main drags. Then onto some back roads for a while past farms and wooded areas. It was a blue bird day with a few puffy clouds and a decent tailwind. We stopped in a nondescript town for a lunch break, then endured busier roads into Orellia. We’re staying at a Warm Shower host tonight and he’d told us he probably wouldn’t be home until 7, so we went in search for dinner. Jon was in the mood for Chinese, so we found a place not too far from our stay. Unfortunately, they weren’t open this week. Next. We found a different place close by that was well rated on Google. Fail#1, Jon ordered Guinness and of course they were out of it. They had happy hour apps, so we ordered some bruschetta and asked how big the order was. The waitress said 2 pieces, but they’re pretty big. Then she comes back a few minutes later and says it’s actually 4 pieces. Cool. A bit later, another server brings this round pita looking thing with tomatoes and some melted cheese, sliced up like a small pizza. I told her we’d ordered the bruschetta and she said that’s what it was. Um, ok. Canadian bruschetta?? Fail #2. The rest of the meal was ok and we made our way to our host’s place. He and his girlfriend live in a townhouse and are both avid cyclists, as well as general outdoors enthusiasts. They shared some freshly picked peas and cherries with us and introduced us to their cats. They have 2, one that looks like Gus; they’d recently adopted them from someone else. At one point, the girlfriend comes downstairs and says, “Um, there’s blood on the bed.” Long pause. “What happens when cats go in heat?” Enter discussion about cats in heat, bladder infections, UTIs, etc.  Eventually the topic changed to biking and route options for tomorrow. 

We finally go up to bed and Jon pulls the sheet back to realize that the cat has had its way with our bedding as well. Jon goes back downstairs and sheets are changed etc. Definitely made sure the door was shut when we went to bed. 

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 739 miles (1,189 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0