Day 51 Whitefish Falls - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2018

Day 51 Whitefish Falls

Interesting holidays they have up here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool little bridge in a field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch fortune
Heart 0 Comment 0

Whitefish Falls, Ontario 

Off to the 24 hour Tim Hortons for breakfast. Art, the Trans Canada biker we saw yesterday was also there grabbing some coffee. We leapfrogged him a few times today, having lunch with him in Espanola and camping at the same place tonight. For the first 60 miles today, we had a fabulous tail wind, averaging almost 15mph. We stopped a few times, once to get some fresh picked blueberries from a roadside stand. Delicious! Today’s ride skirted the edge of Lake Huron, heading towards Manitoulin Island. We stopped with Art for Chinese buffet in Espanola. I don’t thing we did it justice; you can’t eat too much when you’re hopping back in your bike! Traffic got a little busier there, with the weekend/vacationers making their way to and from their destinations. At Espanola, our route went south, into the wind. We were intending to go another 40 miles to a Warm Showers host, but the wind was most unpleasant. Since we only had 45 to go tomorrow, we decided to short cut the day and camp with Art at Hilly Acres (aka no flat tent sites, but we eventually found something close). The campground is next to the Whitefish River, so we got to take a swim after setting up camp. Jon swam over to some cool rocks in the other side of the river, but could barely climb up them because of the algae and grass; I wish I’d had my phone to take a picture or video. It was a sight to see. After the swim, we showered and strolled up to the one restaurant here for some halfway decent salads and shared biking stories with Art. In the tent just as the sun was setting. Good day all in all.

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 972 miles (1,564 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0