Day 49 Saulte Ste Marie - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2018

Day 49 Saulte Ste Marie

Heart 0 Comment 0

Started our day at the diner next to the motel. Their special was eggs and corned beef hash, which they said was homemade, so Jon ordered it; I got a veggie omelette. They had some very tasty rye toast and strawberry jam with big chunks of strawberries. The omelette came with “plastic” cheese as we generally call it...some sort of velvetta or similar. Other than that, the omelette was good. Jon said he burped up the corned beef for hours. Perhaps not the best option right before bike riding. We spent most of the day on a road that bisects the UP. Weather was perfect, a little head wind now and then, but blessedly cool. The scenery didn’t change much. Pine trees, the occasional brown bog. Jon posted the rest as follows: 96 miles with nothing to look at. Other than most of the U. P. seems to be for sale. Dozens and dozens, and dozens of vacation homes, water front lots, groovy old bombed out motels and cabins from prob the ‘40s. Cheap diners closing or for sale. Did score some great ice cream. A guy in his p. j.’s grilling. Two bike packers. An unremarkable day to the following end. 

Option 1: Cross the 2 lane international bridge into Saulte Ste Marie Canada at 6:00 on a Friday night. Camp in the lawn of a bike shop next to a shopping center parking lot on a busy road. 

Option 2: Buy a 6-pack, check into a hotel in Saulte Ste Marie Michigan, order from Applebee’s next door, sleep in a cushy bed and cross the bridge early in the morning. 

Guess which option won out. 😉

Today's ride: 96 miles (154 km)
Total: 1,165 miles (1,875 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0