Day 4 Malheur National Forest - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2018

Day 4 Malheur National Forest

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Camping in Malheur National Forest 

Today started with wonderful ham and cheese omelettes and toast at the Crafton Ranch. We both slept so well (maybe it was a food coma!) and we were ready to hit the road. John drove us down into Spray since we had an 80+ day ahead of us and off we went. We continued along the John Day River for the first 65 miles of the day. It was such a beautiful day. We stopped a few times for breaks, once by Cathedral Rock and later on at Blue Basin, another one of the fossil areas. 

Wildlife sightings today included hawks, bald eagles, lizards, heron, and 100 little prairie dogs(?) that we scared up as we road past some farm fields. We stopped in Dayville for another break and some ice cream, then headed into the town of John Day to stock up on food for the next couple of days and ate a chef salad to fuel up for the remaining 20 miles. The road out of town as pretty busy, but after 10 miles, we got off the main road towards our campground. We got here at about 6 and are the only ones here, so that’s pretty awesome. We did talk to a young guy who was about to go fly fishing. He gave us a bunch of water so we didn’t have to bother with filtering from the stream. We set up camp to the rumbles of thunder off to the west and got sprinkled on a bit, but that was all. We rinsed off in the stream, made some dinner and chilled out for the evening. Climbed into our sleeping bags around 9 and fell asleep 3.5 seconds later.

Today's ride: 87 miles (140 km)
Total: 3,623 miles (5,831 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0