Day 29 Waubay - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2018

Day 29 Waubay

Finally! A body of water!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fish fry!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storm clouds above our home for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last of the Plains
Heart 0 Comment 0

Waubay, SD

Great intentions of getting out early, until the thunderstorms skimmed the edge of Aberdeen. Still though, we got up at 6 and had some fruit and snack bars left by our hosts and watched the radar. We finally hit the road around 8:00. There was a fine arts show setting up in the park across the street; hope it stays clear for them! We cycled 2 miles to the grocery store and picked up a few more things for breakfast and snacks for the day. Another day of racing to beat predicted afternoon storms. The countryside was pretty much the same as the rest of central SD for the first 35 miles: corn and grain fields. At 30 miles, we pulled off to a small (population 35) town and made pb&js in the town park. Not a whole lot here beside a boarded up school, a few houses and a church, but they do have a big threshing show in August. Not sure we’ll be back for that. About 5 or so miles later, we started to see scattered ponds and small lakes, then we passed by one with ducks, a heron and 2 pelicans. Could it be we were reaching the lake region and finally done with endless farm fields? Not that there weren’t pretty fields, but it was wearing us down. At the 50 mile point, we hit the last town with a grocery store before our destination for the night. We grabbed some fruit and veggies and breakfast stuff and then stopped for a couple of subs for tonight and tomorrow. We booked a room at a small motel in a tiny town of Waubay for 2 nights, as the forecast is looking ugly for Sunday and we really need a zero day anyway. As we neared Waubay, we crossed Rush lake and Blue Dog lake and saw all kinds of waterfowl. There were even sandhill cranes flying overhead. We made a quick stop to grab some brews at the one gas station in town and Jon was super excited to see Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA.  Things were looking up! We checked into our room; the owner saved the end room for us so it would be quiet. Sweet fellow. While I showered, Jon chatted up a group of fishermen a few doors down. They’d been fishing all week and were frying up today’s walleye catch in the parking lot. One of the guys had homemade cranberry wine and rhubarb wine; both were amazing.  Great fun talking to these guys, 2 fathers and their sons from Iowa. The oldest at 80 (he got a speeding ticket on the trip up and was debating telling his wife of 65 years!) After dinner, we all walked over to the ice cream store by the lake. In the time it took us to walk the 0.10 miles, a thunderstorm popped up and we barely made it back before the rain came down. So glad we’re not tenting tonight as originally planned. Instead, we got  fresh fried fish, ice cream, fun folks and a warm bed. As Jon said, perfect end to 14 days of riding. Now to hibernate.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 2,065 miles (3,323 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0