Day 12 Victor - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2018

Day 12 Victor

Victor

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Idaho Falls to Victor 

We were up at 4:45 this morning and out by 5:30. Trying to beat the afternoon thunderstorms in the forecast for Victor. Jonathan made us a perfect breakfast of “toad in the hole” egg and toast and an incredible latte for me. We got about 1/2 mile away and Jon realized he forgot our tent poles. Doh. Back he went. Finally we were on our way, passing by all the shopping centers before leaving Idaho Falls. Jonathan had told us that we had a wonderful ride ahead of us today. Can’t say that we’d necessarily agree with that, at least for the first 35-40 miles. It was incredibly busy with lots of semis and box trucks along with cars and RVs. Jon was blown off the road at one point when one semi flew past us without moving over an inch. After that, we stopped each time we saw one coming up on our mirrors. We also had a pretty decent head wind the entire time, making for a slower ride. We passed a lot of farm land and some wind farms that supply power to Salt Lake City and eventually made our way down to the South Fork of the Snake River. We turned off of the main route to head towards Victor and thankfully lost most of the trucks and traffic. We had one short 2 mile climb and as we neared the top, there was a car on the side of the road and someone jumped out waving her arms at us. It was my cousin Morrison! She was on her way to Lake Tahoe and wouldn’t be in Jackson during our stay, so she wanted to at least say hi and give us hugs. It was great to see her if only briefly. The rain clouds were building behind us, so sadly we couldn’t hang out for long. We pushed on and started to get rained on, so on went the rain gear. It didn’t last long though and we were certainly grateful, as we had one more big 5 mile climb to accomplish today before we could cruise into Victor. We just beat the rain as we pulled into my cousin Evan’s house. We were welcomed with guacamole, hummus, salsa and chips and some tasty beverage. We chilled out for a while, then checked out the construction progress on their new house. Gonna be very cool. 

After the inspection, we headed over Teton Pass (in a vehicle 😄) to meet my aunt and uncle for dinner. There was a special dinner put on by Streetfood. We had plantain chips with a really tasty molé, then tostadas with grasshoppers on top, another dish with shrimp and octopus and dessert of lava cake. Despite the crazy ingredients it really was a great dinner! 😋We walked away full and amazed at the variety of the tastes.  Definitely ended the day on a high note!

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 3,064 miles (4,931 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0