Day 11 Idaho Falls - Portland to Portland Anniversary Ride - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2018

Day 11 Idaho Falls

Idaho Falls

Low cloud layer we saw rise in for several hours.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two Buttes
Heart 1 Comment 0

Arco to Idaho Falls. Slept in a bit today as we had plenty of time. Rolling at about 8:00 with a great tailwind, we cruised along desert area and some power and military testing grounds. We watched the low cloud deck slowly rise up above 3 buttes that we could see in the distance. At one of the pullouts we talked to a couple from Oregon who did the bicentennial ride across the country in 1976. Now they’re doing a cross country driving brew tour. 🍺 Same as us, but they’re smart enough to do it by car.  The route today was pretty flat and we both rolled along listening to tunes or audio books to fill the time. One of the characters in my book played football for the Buckeyes. What are the odds?

We got into Idaho Falls mid afternoon after averaging 14.8 mph. Not bad with gear! We rode to the house of one of the members of the Warm Showers organization. Beautiful ranch with a couple of horses and a dozen bikes in the garage. His name is Jonathan and his wife’s name is Cathy. How crazy is that?! (She’s actually out of town though) Jonathan greeted us with fruit, yogurt and kale smoothies. Finally some real vegetables! One of the other warm shower hosts, Brooke Jeffs, stopped by. This woman is a power bicyclist in this area and told us about a ride she did called the Fat Pursuit. It’s done in the winter just outside of Yellowstone on snow mobile trails on “fat tire” bikes.  Distance options range from 60km to 200 miles! That is some hard core biking! Brooke’s husband joined us for dinner at a local restaurant and we had a great meal and conversation. (Our first time having pizza on the ride. Can you believe it?) We were fading quickly by the time dinner was done though, so we went back to Jonathan’s house and crashed. 

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 3,134 miles (5,044 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0