Champlain to Portneuf - Exploring the Route Verte in Quebec, Canada by Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 3, 2010

Champlain to Portneuf

The owner of the campground told us that his parents started the camp in 1930. He took over the park in 1950. This was before highway 40 was built and rerouted alot of traffic and business away.Unfortunately, the campground looked like it had not been renovated in 50 years. One very tiny grotty bathroom and shower for the whole place. Our site was very close to highway 138...noisy motorcycles and trucks. $26 for our tent site-poor value but charming owner. He is 83 years old and hoping to sell the park next year.Dinner was a can of beef stew and later an ice cream sundae from the snack bar down the road.

The view from our campground in Champlain-the mighty St.Lawrence River
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the campground in Champlain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Champlain
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was another hot and humid day of riding. We have been enjoying stopping for lunch in parks along the route. We usually are able to find fresh baguettes and a farm stand to buy tomatoes and other veggies. We also have been adding Quebec cheese and smoked meats.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw many beautiful gardens along the Chemin du Roy
Heart 0 Comment 0
The church in Champlain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we stopped in Sainte-Anne-de-la-Perade and ate our lunch in a park next to the river. The park was full of young French families enjoying the coolness of the river and the shade of the park. The park was next to a huge cathedral designed by the same architect who designed Notre Dame Cathedral in Montreal. To get to the park we had to cross an incredibly long green steel bridge. It is the weekend and the construction workers holiday break is still on. As a result, highway 138 is congested with convoys of Harley Davidson motorcycle riders.

We rode through some beautiful farm country. It was interesting to see farm workers harvesting the hay. At one farm we watched the process of wrapping the bales of hay in the white plastic wrap. These giant marshmallows are everywhere in this region.

Heart 0 Comment 0
In Quebec they don't like dogs pooping in parks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vieux Presbytere de Batiscan (Historical site of the priest's home in Batiscan)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding across the long steel bridge to Sainte-Anne-de-la-Perade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A rough ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Churches provided us with a cool escape from the heat and usually a picnic spot.
We enjoyed touring Quebec churches - here we are at Ste,-Anne-de-la-Perade.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This stretch of the Chemin du Roy is known for fertile farm land and fresh vegetables.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding with Barry, I can't resist these photo opportunities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A shrine in a front yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the road!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mosaics in the church yard and community centre in the village of Grondines.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
the Grondines church - hot, humid and looking forward to getting inside for a tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The interior of the Grondines church.
Grondines is a sleepy, small village off the beaten path, a nice surprise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This postal clerk in Grondines was eager to help.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
On this trip, we seem to always follow train tracks or rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 598 km (371 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0