Vitry en Francoise - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2009

Vitry en Francoise

Ken

An easy day today along the D2. No problem getting out of Chalon, we can now whip around the roundabouts in moving traffic. Soon we were on the almost straight D2 alongside the railway and through large fields of Lucerne, a few potatoes, wheat (harvested long ago), corn and sugar beet. A real food factory. There were long stretches with no houses. Nearer Vitry there were more small villages – we even found a bar to get a coffee in one... There were lovely gardens in the villages and many half timbered houses.

Getting into Vitry at the end of the day was a problem trying to avoid a short stretch on the N1. We eventually circled around an extra 10km and got in. Re recrossed the Marne which is an impressively large river. Into Vitry via some dug up streets and straight to the Information where Tricia took the camping option. The Camping Municipal is very good and pretty empty though we seem to have the hottest spot. Tent up in 5minutes and I was off to the shop to get some Rose and 2 éclairs to supplement our bread and cheese. Then a snooze and later a walk around this small town where the canals of the Marne, Saone and Rhine meet. Got our stamp, took a look at a 17th century church then a nice meal of things I got at the Deli as it was shutting accompanied by the rest of the Rose and some Cider.

Across the Marne
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Marne
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where the canals meet
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looks pretty comfortable to me
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 685 km (425 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0