Tromello - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2009

Tromello

Last night's meal in the room was quite good. The food was fine but we found out why the wine Ken had so excitedly bought was so cheap - one bottle 1E the other 1.5E. The 1E bottle was completely off, thw 1.5E not quite completely off so we could drink a little of it. Someone outside our room on a busy road spent what seemed like half the night trying to start his car. There were short bursts on the starter motor for well over an hour. Amazingly when we woke up in the morning the car had gone. About 5am there was loud thunder then a big downpour but by 7.30 it had stopped though the sky remained threatening all morning. We had a spot of bother getting out of the hotel, there was no one there. We finally figured it out, loaded up and got out of the side entrance. Stopped at the first bar and bread shop as we had had nothing but water until then.

Along the street came an obvious pilgrim with a back pack and two sticks. He was Michael from Southern England who was doing the Via in stages. He had come from Lake Leman and was going as far as Lucca.

Then on, over the river, onto a fairly busy road once more through rice fields. We took the only obvious small road to get off the busy one and had a quiet hour or so before getting into Mortara. It was time to stop for lunch and we sat on a seat under a leaden sky to eat our bread and cheese, Tricia in a mixture of Italian, French and English managed to get us a room in Tromello (50E). Amazing I would have had no show. With rain still threatening we set of on the busy road with a slight head wind. Were in Tromello by 1pm and found our good room. We slept, showered and then explored this nice little town with its lovely well used church, marvellous supermarket and what looked like a good trattatoria around the corner. I bought a local paper to try to get the weather forecast and find out what happened in the Italian Grand Prix. It is remarkably difficult to find these things out.

Riding out of Vecelli
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is real cycling country
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 1,449 km (900 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0