Serancourt-le-Grand: A relaxing day beside the Somme - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2009

Serancourt-le-Grand: A relaxing day beside the Somme

We got up at about 6.45, had juice only for breakfast and poked around doing the usual and were away about 8.00am. The weather was coolish and the route was the easiest yet, fairly flat through potatoes, some wheat and lots of sugar beet. We are in really large scale farming here. We cruised along at about 20k.p.h auth no trouble with route finding. By 9.30 we had found a café in a tiny village where we drank coffee and ate ice-cream as we lazed around for half an hour or so. We were in Serancourt-le- Grand before 11am. This place is the only camping spot in easy range so it feels like a day off. It is absolutely fantastic a site beside the Somme – our pitch is near the picnic table, excellent showers and free Wi-Fi. It only takes us 5minutes to put up the tent now. There was a little shop 100m away so Ken got some cold beer to go with our baguette and cheese then a brief siesta.

I dealt with emails and Ken went off to explore the little town. There was a large British Cemetery close by mainly filled with the victims of the big German offensive of the spring of 1918 – 1200 graves. He found a man with a heard of ducks and bought delicious plums for us to eat with our evening meal. The bikes got a good check over and we generally just had a relaxing time in this lovely little place.

War graves near the Somme
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cemetery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The man with the geese and plums
Heart 0 Comment 0
His wife
Heart 0 Comment 0
They were getting the car ready for the wedding in the evening
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Somme
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Somme again
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 km (19 miles)
Total: 507 km (315 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0