Night 2 Lake Bolsena: To Orvietto by bus - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2009

Night 2 Lake Bolsena: To Orvietto by bus

We decided to have two nights in Lake Bolsena as we really are very close to Rome. The idea was to take the bus to Orvietto for the day. The bus left at 6.45am so we were up in the dark to walk the 800m to the bus stop. There were lots of school kids on the bus and because of the fog we saw nothing the whole way there.

The city is perched on a rock, very ancient of course and there is a funicular taking you up there. The jewel in Orvietto's crown is the cathedral. There it facade decorated with mosaics in bright colours and a fair bit gold - it is all spic and span. Inside was not as impressive at first until we got into the left side chapel for a 9am service. This chapel is covered with mainly 15th Century frescos. We struck a market and had Porcetto for lunch - very yummy. Then after diddling around for a while we got the funicular down and caught the bus back 'home' with the school kids but this time the fog was gone and we got lovely views of Umbria.

We (or rather Tricia) was still trying to get reasonable accommodation in Rome without much luck. however in the camping ground were a pair of Dutch tourists who had come from Rome they told us they had stayed at "Camping Roma" in a 'bungalow' which was cheap and absolutely great so we got directions to it and will try it.

The cathedral at Orvietto
Heart 0 Comment 0
the cathedral square from the steps of the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
Orvietto
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market
Heart 0 Comment 0
A last look at the superb mosaics
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0