Hone - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 11, 2009

Hone

Had breakfast at 8.00 then loaded up and onto the narrow valley. There were 2 roads going along it. The autostrada where no bikes were allowed and another road that connected all the little places. We set off on that but it was full of trucks and cars in a hurry. There was an alternative and we decided to take it to get off the busy road. It took us under the autostrada and high into the hills so there was a fair bit of pushing. There were little fields with cows, some grapes and lots of lovely vegetable gardens. We were only planning a short day so we didn't mind that progress was very slow. Eventually we descended from Pontey to Chatillon. The town looked very nice with a narrow main street. Had a coffee and set off on the last 4km to St Vincents and the camping ground. A kindly main told us were to go but we were only to find when we got there that it was closed for the week.

The good thing was that it was only midday. The bad thing was that it was 40km to the next camping but there were lots of possible hotels on the way. We got back on the most direct route and by now it was fairly quiet and progress was now fast. In the end we did another 20km all the time looking for a good stop. Hone looked likely so we crossed the river Dora and found a nice hotel (50E). There were actually 2 lovely old villages on opposite sides of the river with an old bridge, possibly Roman connecting them and a massive fort on a high rock guarding a narrow gorge.

There were a few areas of pergola grapes but I think very few had been picked. Plenty of 3 wheelers around here Apis and a larger one with a 4 stoke motor. Had a half litre of wine and a pizza for dinner - 20E making it all up 70E which we thought was very good value

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 1,330 km (826 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0