From Brisbane to Gatwick: Airlines aren't easy on bikes - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2009

From Brisbane to Gatwick: Airlines aren't easy on bikes

We’ve got this far! Had 2 nice days in Brisbane. Saturday very full of soccer and netball, Sunday quieter. Great breakfast at Davids on Oxford.

Got to the airport to find one of the bike boxes was falling apart so visited the wrapping man just hope it all holds together. Oh dear the plane was 2 hours late so felt a bit concerned that either we or the bikes would miss the connection at Dubai, however it is amazing how much time they can make up. When the night finally came to an end we had made up almost all of the delay. A quick transfer to our new gate and onto a plane for another 9 hours to Gatwick arriving at 12.15. A dull day but fine on our arrival. All the gear arrived pretty promptly but the bike boxes with the regular luggage suitcases on top of them and blocking everything we sure wondered what sort of damage had occured. Tricia had sussed out how to deal with bikes at Gatwick so it all went pretty smoothly. Found a quiet place under some stairs – a bit dark but otherwise very good. Basically things went back together with a minimum of bother only problem being that the front wheels were buckled and the brakes stuck on – felt like riding uphill. We made it to the little train that takes you to the other terminal, found Costa coffee beside which is the lift that takes you and bikes to the ground level and the cycleway. Asked which way to Brighton and we were off. Found Oldfield Farm easily, it was only about a mile away. Unloaded and then the very importatant mission of finding a bike shop. This wasn’t so easy and we spent over an hour riding around in circles until we eventually found a massive one only about 200m away. It was just about ready to close but they dealt with the buckled wheels and adjusted the brakes. Forty five pounds which seemed a bit steep but we need functioning bikes.

We had a couple of beers (English Bitter) and a great meal at the Greyhound. Tricia passed out before I finished mine, I eventually woke her to get her across the road and we were asleep in a second.

A shocking photo of Ken putting the bikes together - I dont think my brain is working well
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0