Dampierre sur Salon - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2009

Dampierre sur Salon

Up at 6,45 and packed ready to go on the road at 7.30. We joined the morning traffic out of Langres with no dramas and found a quieter road easily and were soon in rolling forest and wheat field country then a bit later in forest, pasture and cows. Went under an old railway line twice and then into some quite remote country. Then a lot of forest all very pleasant - then wheat and corn into Champlitte. We had considered staying here but we had only done 39km and it was still not midday.

Up to the top of the town where we found a boulangerie (no mean feat on a Monday) and sat outside the Marie and ate our bread and cheese. Tricia felt able to face the next stage to Dampierre but rang ahead to book a band b. The second part of the ride was along the Salon river (stream) which joins the Saone - so we have moved from the Marne to the Rhone system. The country was lovely but there were some very steep uphills. Harvested some delicious, desease free wild grapes and some plums.

We hit Dampierre sur Salon about 2pm stopping at the bar on the edge for a beer or coke. Then to the Information and hence the band b. No sign of life but another call from the I produced a lady who showed us an excellent room.

I'd been hearing a slight clonk from my back wheel and wanted to have a look at it. By this time the man of the house had arrived and was keen to get into it. We had no common language but he obviously has had something to do with bikes. He set out on the rear brakes while not perfect have given me no bother. Did the click come from there? I dont know. Anyway he took my tools and adjusted things I would be to frightened touch. I was not at all sure things werent worse after his efforts. I was just hoping it would go OK.

We explored the town next. Something amazing had happened - half the town has been replaced with an enormous glass hotel and new shops including a massive cut price Supermarkey and a huge Bricolage.

There is a kitchen in the Band B we were allowed to use so there was an expedition to the Supermarket for supplies that included a bottle of Blanc de Blanc since we have a frig.

On the way the way out we passed a fishing shop and low and behold some folding stools which will revolutionise our camping if they dont collapse straight away.

It was a lovely evening as we sat outside and ate our dinner and drank our sparkling wine

Through the forest
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 900 km (559 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0