Camaiori - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 21, 2009

Camaiori

Breakfast was at 8.00 and we tucked in then said a found farewell to our wonderful hosts. They said they had enjoyed our visit, we were the first Kiwis they had met and decided that it must be a great country we came from!

The road was awful as far as Sarzana but we managed to get off it and go a back way down to the mouth of the Magra. We saw the marble mountains and thought of Matteo (our Italian Teacher) when we went through the beach part of Carnara 'Le capital de marble in tutte de monde'

Going along these beaches it really drums it into your head how important it is to preserve our spectacular coastline and not to let it be built up with hideous 'resorts'. It was easy riding but the ribbon development was terrible.

We turned inland towards Pietrosanta where we arrived around midaday and found our way to the beautiful central piazza. Had a coffee and sat on the steps of the cathedral and ate our lunch of bread and cheese.

After that it was on to Camaiori. (Tricia had rung to book a room). Our way took us up a valley between steep hills on a road that was busy at times. Olive groves made an appearance for the firast time and there were a few grapes. Then into the lovely little town - with a laverdaria. Carted our gear to our really beautiful room, showered then took everything to the lav.

So we were clean again and able to enjoy the town. The beautiful town was full of scooters, apis, big 3 wheel trucks and lots of shops and people walking and riding bikes around. We finished our beer and went in search of our dinner which for me was a pizza and for Tricia pasta all washed down with half a litre of a very acceptable red wine.

Getting to the mouth of the Magra
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pilgrims on their way t0 Rome
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blocks of marble ready to be shipped
Heart 0 Comment 0
Most of the stony beaches were private and fenced off
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cathedral at Pietrosanta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our elegant room
Heart 0 Comment 0
It really was a lovely little town
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,781 km (1,106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0