Besancon - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2009

Besancon

It poured with rain over night but in the morning it was dry. After an early breakfast we set off on a busy road which we were thankful to get off after about 2km. We were on to ups and downs with difficult navigation as the roads had changed since our map was made. Lots of pushing and lots of big trucks and although we only rode 21km it was some of the hardest we had done.

Finally into the outskirts and the first thing we saw was a bike shop. Tricia explained our worries and we unloaded the bikes. He young man spent around 15minutes going over both bikes and doing a few adjustments. Loaded up and the rest of the trip wasn’t so bad despite the heavy traffic.

The town is lovely with big areas for pedestrians and bikes only. It is on a loop on the River Doube with a Vauban defensive citadel at the neck. It is a very old city with Roman remains and a lovely double ended cathedral which has two organs.

The washing was done, we mailed stuff home then had a very relaxing time for the rest of the day.

It is a lovely city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Even the police on bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Vauban Citadel on the hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the evening
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 966 km (600 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0