Aquapendente - Riding the Via Francigina - CycleBlaze

September 29, 2009

Aquapendente

We loaded our bikes then had our breakfast that was included in the price. Roberto was effusive as usual. It was of course a steep downhill out of Montepulciano then we were on a quiet uphill heading back to join the VF. There were well tended vineyards where they were just starting to pick. Then onto a gravel road for about 4km followed by a long downhill on seal. This was quite a remote area with no houses reminding us a bit of the McKenzie Country in the South Island of NZ. After another 20km we were back on the SS2 which was surprisingly quiet so we headed for Aquapendente.

Had coffee at a fuel stop then up a long valley which we thought would be the last major hill before Rome, it was low gear for several kilometres followed by a downhill through a tunnel. The remaining 20km was rather dull country with only one tiny hamlet where we had another stop. We saw very few cattle or dairy farms. The cattle never live outside it seems but are usually inside in rather mucky pens. The lot we saw today were pure white.

Then we got to Aquapendete on the edge of it was a 2 star hotel where we got a very good room. After our shower, washing and a sleep we took off for town. Ken had a haircut then much to our surprise we ran into Nadia and Marcia. We sat and drank beer and coffee with them for ages it was good to catch up. They must have been walking very fast and Nadia says she has a 40kg pack! Actually it turns out that Marcia has a husband with a car so I think they might be fudging it a bit.

Our meal in our hotel was very good and it certainly has been excellent value 65E including dinner and breakfast.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 2,062 km (1,281 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0