We Cruise to Dole - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

August 28, 2011

We Cruise to Dole

John brought us a cup of tea in bed. It was a wonderful golden morning and certainly didn't look as if it would get too hot, just the perfect morning for our trip to Dole which was about 30km. The bikes were safely lashed aboard so they too were going to enjoy a lazy day.

Rosemary and I were doing the breakfast dishes when John caste off. The pair of them are so well experienced that they work like a well oiled machine. The first lock took us out of the Soane River into the Rhine/Rhone canal and seemed a bit tricky as John had to turn at right angles against the current. At this lock we were given the gadget with which we would be able to operate the rest of the round about 8 other locks. Rosemary took charge of this and organized the front ropes. As complete novices as far as boats are concerned we were learning lots and a few locks before we reached Dole Ken had been elevated to the status of operating the back rope although I must say his skill at throwing it over the bollards was not outstanding. We tied up in Dole about 2pm with a perfect view of the cathederal. Rosemary produced lunch and a very nice lunch and we sat enjoying the view and the life of luxury. Rosemary is a painter and she spends their time here painting the scenes. They haven't had a winter for 6 years now which seems a good way to live to me. Its drinks time now and then dinner. What a very special day - thank you Rosemary and John.

Tomorrow we will be back to head winds, overheating, punctures, orages and all the joys of cycle touring so you will get a proper post of our journal.

Ken tries has hand at the wheel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the lock
Heart 0 Comment 0
The perfect mooring
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rosemary shows us some of her paintings
Heart 0 Comment 0
We eat the nice meal Rosemary has made us in the wheel house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0