Into the Tyrol: We are staying in a castle - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2011

Into the Tyrol: We are staying in a castle

It was a muddly start this morning because everything was so poorly signed. There were signs pointing everywhere but because we were in Germany none showing Austrian towns where we would be in about 10km. It was rather a relief to get over the border and not only return to better signage but there was also a distinct improvement in the quality of the path.

Yesterday in the morning we were able to make out vague shapes of the mountains in the distance. by the time we got to Raubling we could see them clearly. Today we have been surrounded by them most of the day. This is the most amazing traffic corridor with motorways, trains, other roads and of course our bike path all squeezed into the valley which at times is quite narrow. A problem is the noise, there are noise barriers but it still echos off the mountains on either side particularly when the valley is narrow. The Tyrol of course is an idilic area particularly with such lovely weather - everywhere you look at resembles a postcard. There were lots of cyclists out and some of them touring ones. Although you are going upstream the gradient is very mild. Schwaz is a beautiful old town but once more we found it fairly difficult to get accommodation and have ended up in a castle a little way out of town, once again it is too grand for us in our grubby state.

The mountains are closing in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our Schloss
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 95 km (59 miles)
Total: 3,213 km (1,995 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0