Across the Plains to Treviso - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2011

Across the Plains to Treviso

We went for a walk before we left this morning along the Avenue of the Martrys . It is chilling to think of the inhumanity of the Nazis in the closing stages of World War Two. Each tree that is planted has a beautiful cyclamen, the name and often a photo of a partisan who was strung up by the Nazi in these closing stages of the war. The avenue sits on a rim looking out towards where the Brenta emerges. I can well imagine the partisans hidden high in this rugged and difficult country.

Thursday must be market day in Bassano as the market was in full swing. Most of the many, many stalls were clothes and various household goods but of course there were sweetly smell flower stalls and yummy looking fruit and vegetable stalls as well as those selling cheese, salami and other delicacies. We stopped and had our breakfast at a café and had the usual excellent cappacino at its standard price of $1.50Euros and the most delicious brioche I have ever tasted.

This was the first time on this trip we were travelling without a cycle specific map and just a regular road map. It made me realise how very spoilt we have been. Now we were picking our way across the plain trying to keep on the small roads to avoid the traffic. Ken did very well finding a route. It took us through many small ordinary working towns all of which looked prosperous to us. The only time we struck bad i.e scary traffic was approaching Treviso and then suddenly a cycle path appeared which was a bonus. Treviso is a very spread out city and we had some difficulty finding the centre. As usual the signs disappear once you get close. It was even more difficult tracking down the well hidden tourist information. The lady there was fantastic and suggested this place called 'A Family Hospitality Centre'. It is vaguely weird, it may be a student hostel I think, but is clean. comfortable and very cheap. It also is near the centre so we have explored and sat eating gelatos and watching the beautifully dressed inhabitants of the city walk around.

What we do tomorrow is still uncertain - we may stay here for the day or we may take a bike ride back up another valley into the hills.

72

The tribute to one of the Partisans
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market in Bassano
Heart 0 Comment 0
This mill must have been in use not long ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
ken liked this 3 wheel 2 cylindar desil truck used by the local authorities
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gates of Treviso
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bikes wait patiently for me to find the Information and then somewhere to stay
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 3,763 km (2,337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0