A lovely day in rural Hungary: The Thermal Spa of Komarom - A River Route through Europe searching for a good cup of coffee - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2011

A lovely day in rural Hungary: The Thermal Spa of Komarom

Had a great meal of chicken stuffed with prunes and salami last night with of course the usual beer. For breakfast we had 3 fried eggs, ham and saukraut. This was all enlivened by two locals in the bar drinking beer and calling out to each other across the room in what to us was an unintelligible language.

The ride today was very special through really rural Hungary. The good tracks or yesterday were well gone and we bumped along on pot holed roads or unpaved tracks. One particular stretch of about 5km was not only unpaved but had no gravel on it either. It was just a sea of thick sandy dust and ruts and would have been completely impassable had there been rain. It was very hard to stop your wheels from sliding from underneath and I was proud I didn't fall off.

We stopped in the ancient city of Gyor for a coffee after a very short distance. The main square has been beautifully restored and we enjoyed walking around it and drinking our coffee (very good it was too) in such a lovely place. Then on into the real countryside. Many of the little villages are really tiny and just seem to be a collection of houses. Some have a small bar like the one we stopped at for an excellent coffee for 1.30Euros.

Our stopping place was Komarom across the river is the Slovakian city of Komamo. This is a result of the way that the border was drawn up after World War 1. They are separated by 'the Friendship Bridge'. This seems to result in large numbers of Slavakians flocking across the bridge to the big supermarkets on the Hungarian side where I presume the prices are much lower. Komarom is a thermal spa town and has a large number of hotels situated around these thermal baths. Ken however seems to have some sort of aversion to these 'Wellness Centres' so we are in a very nice Pension near the bridge and I will not have the opportunity of soaking away my fat and getting fit by lying in a hot pool!

She proves that language is not all that is needed for good comunication. the only language we had in common was half a dozen words in German
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lovely square in Gyor
Heart 0 Comment 0
We thought or bikes were heavily loaded
Heart 0 Comment 0
A typical country road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bar in atiny town at 10am
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken is fond of this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not the smoothest cycle way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch time
Heart 0 Comment 0
Filling bottles with healing water
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 2,729 km (1,695 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0