Risking All for a Date Square - Rise Again! Fall/Winter 2019 - CycleBlaze

January 24, 2019

Risking All for a Date Square

Last time around it took Dodie 49 days to make it from the operating table to the Drumroaster Cafe. But today is Day 22 on the second knee, and we set off in search of that Hugs and Kisses chai, and baked treat.

Except for a couple of false starts actually getting on to the bike, things went swell. At first. In fact, when we reached the little hill that we call "Mount Excalibur" (because the repair shop Excalibur Appliance is at the top), Dodie only commented mildly "Oh, this is a bit of a hill", but up she went.

We reached Drumroaster and the coveted Hugs and Kisses. I added the coffee cake square that you may see in the photo, while Dodie nobly passed on any goodie. We sat and read the Victoria paper, also a rare treat because otherwise we only read news on computer screens. 

The paper was full of reports about two employees of the legislature that had been charging inappropriate expenses. The most lurid revelation was that they had had a $3200 log splitter delivered to one of their homes. I thought that was doubly scandalous, because I know splitters and that one was not worth $3200! 

Either the scandals or the time sitting were taking their toll with Dodie, because first she weakened and asked for a date square. This was trouble, because the square had only about 1/2 the customary amount of dates. Another scandal!

After that Dodie judged that she really would not be able to make it home. So I jumped on my bike, and pretty soon came back with the van. Dodie limped into the house and onto the sofa, dug out a pain pill, and frankly looked pretty despondent for the next eight hours until bed time. 

Tomorrow will need to be a rest day. But the day after, weather permitting, she will be back on it. And this time, we will not make that date square error!

Drumroaster. The Hugs and Kisses are worth it!
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 6 km (4 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Steve Miller/GrampiesOk fine - that splitter is partly made in Canada, a possible plus for the two accused legislative executives!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Steve Miller/GrampiesApparently the Speaker [of the Legislature] inquired about the reason for buying the wood splitter and was told if a crisis occurred at the legislature there could be a need to split a tree for fire wood.

Makes Victoria sound like the back of beyond!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetYes, it conjures an image of our government huddled around some decorative fireplace in the legislature, trying to stay alive with firewood split by the Speaker of the House. Even more frightening is that they forgot to illicitly buy a chain saw to go with it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Mike AylingHey Steve,
Re the log splitter:
Unless you actually have to put in a competitve tender if the Gummint is buying you can usually charge what you like and they will usually pay.
It is not their money after all!
Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Glen AdamsGo Dodie! I think you are amazing.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyWow Dodie, So fun to see you pedaling again. Both knees behind you. It's only a matter of time now! You go girl!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakSurely a day ride down to Seattle is the only sensible next step?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakWell now, today we went to Drumroaster, and back! We are watching the builder's reports to see just when the luxury Grampies' suite is completed at your house. We will then come by car, but a "day ride" down there is in the works for when we have first completed training by circling Austria and Germany in the Spring.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago