Day 1: Brussels Airport to Downtown Brussels - Grampies Ride Again! Summer 2015 - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2015

Day 1: Brussels Airport to Downtown Brussels

The thunderstorms had thrown a reasonably sized monkey wrench into the airport operations, causing an Air Canada flight to Paris to sit for an extra couple of hours, hogging our departure gate.When our plane was able to dock, things went extremely smoothly. We had been assigned a window and aisle seat in a section at the tail where these two seat combinations exist. We found that we, and even the passengers who were three abreast had tons of legroom, unlike some really cramped layouts we have encountered from time to time.

Our plane has been able to elbow its way to the gate, but is not yet connected to the bridge - and it's time to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0

What's more, Air Transat came up with a hot meal, and it was of good quality. To boot, their touch screen entertainment system is excellent and free. In short, for being strapped into place vertically for an entire night, it was as good as it can be. We did sleep, though fitfully, and arrived over Brussels in moderately good shape.The land in this region looked greenand inviting, sprinkledwith little villages.

The bikes came out without any major damage, though they showed signs of having been bashed about a bit. It did not take at all long to get them set back up for riding, and we soon popped out into the wide world of Europe.

This did not mean that we actually went anywhere in a great hurry, thanks in part to an absence of signage. The GPS was invaluable in getting the show on the right road, but several people chipped in directional advice. This began what was to be the rule for the day - everyone we encountered - from the various airport staff that gave us directions to the several people who just looked at our bikes and Canadian flags and gave us encouragement - was friendly and positive.

Quite soon we were on a broad red bike lane marked off on the road, and generally found some sort of bike lane all the way into the city. It was not totally smooth sailing, though, because the red lane gave way to a share the road situation. Despite bicycle graphics painted on the road every 100 meters or so, the truth was that the road was narrow and well travelled, though not high speed.We chose the sidewalk for most of the time.

From the hard to pin down general clutter of buildings that is common near airports, the town began to resolve into a cross between huddled French villages of white stucco and multi-coloured brick constructions, that we recognize as being of Dutch origin. The buildings themselves were generally low rise apartments.

Aside from the French/Dutch heritage of the buildings, we quickly began to notice the people. Though we must have traversed quite a few neighbourhoods from airport to downtown, the general appearance of the people was Islamic, and their skin colours were on the one hand African and on the other, Turkish.

Again, every single person - whether dodging us on the sidewalk, or moving their delivery van that was blocking the sidewalk, or just walking or sitting nearby, was unfailingly pleasant.

In some places, small groups of African origin young men, often with ball caps, and these often red, were on corners with not much apparently to do. And in one park we encountered people camped out, seemingly homeless. This was a new one on us, as we had not seen it in France, and certainly not in Germany.

Clearly immigration has had a big influence on Belgian society. But we have no Census data to look at right now, and no information about whether the new people are making a new, interesting, and vibrant society here, or whether they are a drag.

It looks like only a short hop, but it is still 6 time zones, and a big cultural shift.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The land looks green and peaceful near Brussels airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
The World War battlefields are an important feature of Belgium, and still a big "tourism" draw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This food container protector that was over our deraillers took a beating.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We usually think of Frankfurt or Amsterdam, but maybe they are right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This well marked bikeway out of the airport looks promising, but we have seen many well marked bikeways dwindle away quite quickly.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was easy to spot the Decathlon (sporting goods super store) that we had scoped out from home, because the thing was literally a square city block in extent. Of course, there was a 100% chance that they had the Campingaz that we are always on the lookout for. We were 7 km in to the country by this point. That's quite a difference from Florida, where the first time we travelled 1000km before we found the stuff, and where the second time we got my brother to drive us to a carefully identified Bass Pro that had assured us by phone that they had the gaz.

Dodie parked me and the bikes outside Decathlon, and while I waited outside, a young man came over to chat. To my surprise he was English speaking. Normally being parked outside turns into a French lesson for me. The young man, "DJ", had just completed a short cycle in the south of France, and his girlfriend is currently going Belgium to Portugal. I was pleased to be able to introduce him to Crazyguy, and to answer his questions about cycling in Canada

The Decathlon - huge!
Heart 0 Comment 0
"DJ", one of the people who made us feel welcome on our first day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we drew closer to the city centre, the architecture took on a more consistent character, and its wow factor began to increase a bit. However, as reached our hotel, the Astrid,it had not yet resolved itself into a consistent and beautiful thing. Perhaps tomorrow, as we finally arrive at the Grand Place, Grote Market, and the Cathedral we will be more thoroughly wowed.

The Astrid is one of the better of the modern hotels we have been in in Europe. It has wide screen TV, a tub, air conditioning and for Europe, quite large rooms. We were forced to pay for a parking spot in the basement however (15 euros per day), since they would not allow the bikes in the room. So that leaves us "alone" in a quite large room - very luxurious.

We only had strength to toddle across the street to a Vietnamese restaurant. Though there was an outdoor terrace, we chose the inside because of smokers. We noticed that smoking is still so big in Europe again at the airport as soon as we reached the public arrivals area. At home, you can almost forget about this intrusive addiction.

One thing, though, looking out from our inside window, it was again dramatically clear how streets are cobbled and quite free from cars, making place for terraces and giving those darn smokers a place to be. (Smoking aside) Even large cities of Europe are wonderfully livable, within many neighbourhoods.

We had booked two nights at the Astrid, to give a chance for a good look around, without having to cycle out of town tomorrow. We found the Hop On Hop Off pamphlet, but rather think we will be ok just strolling around the relatively few downtown sights.We have already spotted a chocolate factory, and know where the main highly touristic waffle restaurant is, so we should be fine!

Our first bakery. Every bakery is an "Artisanal" one, run by a genius craftsman. This was one closed , of course, since Belgium is much like France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First Belgian fries - closed too, of course.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings are getting interesting, as we leave the immediate airport area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical people we are encountering
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys look exotic, but taking a selfie is pretty normal!
Heart 0 Comment 0
People living in the park?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sleeping in the park is normal, but this person does not look normal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another typical Brussels pedestrian.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This interesting statue on a cornice got photographed because it contrasted to other mainly drab buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chocolate factory!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buildings getting interesting, Dutch looking, further downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
One view from our window
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view from our window.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 15 km (9 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0