Day 7..Bruceport County Park to Seaside - Rick's Solo Canada to Mexico Adventure - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2018

Day 7..Bruceport County Park to Seaside

The Mighty Columbia river
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

A fair amount of climbing as I head south toward Oregon I decided on a little hillier but more direct route to Astoria saving close to 40 miles. The Mighty Columbia river is very impressive indeed. I stopped at a rest area on the north side of river across from Astoria. This spot is where Lewis and Clark were pinned down for 5 days by a horrendous storm in November 1805 that Clark said was one of the most dangerous times of the entire journey. Little did they know their ultimate goal, the Pacific, was literally around the next bend in the river. They spent that entire winter at Fort Clatsop on the south side of the river near Astoria. The bridge across is 4 miles long and was a very hairy ride with heavy traffic, narrow shoulder, and huge climb and then a wild descent into Astoria. Thankful to have survived !

A little oasis in Nasalle Washington
Heart 2 Comment 0

Stopped at Fort Clatsop National Memorial and then on to the final destination of Seaside. Today was the longest day so far at 62 miles. My legs are getting stronger for sure and the earlier knee issue has subsided.

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 323 miles (520 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Vanessa WatsonLove this entry and the history is so interesting! Sometimes you just have to push around that next bend! Glad to hear your knee is feeling better!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Denise WatsonI agree; the history lessons and pictures are wonderful and make us feel as if we're with you. Only without the pain!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago