Day 36....Sycamore Canyon to Long Beach - Rick's Solo Canada to Mexico Adventure - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2018

Day 36....Sycamore Canyon to Long Beach

In Malibu..for those Bonanza fans
Heart 1 Comment 0
Miles of homes like these in the hills
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not sure how they get any studying done. Pepperdine U in Malibu
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Santa Monica Pier
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hermosa Beach....had lunch here
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Santa Monica
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malibu Pier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malibu Pier
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was definitely an LA Day! After just a few miles of riding on the PCH I came to Malibu which is about 20 miles long. That's not an exaggeration. The thing that is interesting is there are nice homes on the right between the PCH and Pacific. However, the mansions to the left high in the hills overlooking the ocean are the showstoppers.

The days of tranquil riding with light traffic is definitely over. The traffic is heavy on 1 and while they usually have a wide shoulder more often that not cars are parked on it so....

I got going early this morning because I knew there would be a lot to see today. So I fixed breakfast before I left camp and had a second breakfast at the Malibu Pier. One of the great things about burning all these calories every day!! 

Malibu just kind of bleeds right in to Santa Monica where I picked up an awesome bike trail right on the beach. California has many many miles of tremendous waterfront and beachside trails. Florida could take a lesson. Of course there were huge crowds at the famous Santa Monica Pier. The trail then leads to Venice which is a very unique place both good and bad. Street performers, great little shops and restaurants, and a very beachy hip vibe. But also a lot of homeless and panhandlers on the streets.Then on to some neat little places like Marina Del Rey, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach.

The first 50 miles today were great. The last 14 were on very busy streets with spotty bike lanes through Torrance and Carson so not much fun and finally made it to my hotel in Long Beach.

Overall though it was a great Day! Also went right past LAX so planes about every 30 seconds and yes even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky it was a bit hazy from I presume smog.

3 days to the border! Tomorrow will be somewhere around San Clemente.

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 1,637 miles (2,634 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0