Day 21....Gualala Point Campground to Bodega Dunes Campground - Rick's Solo Canada to Mexico Adventure - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2018

Day 21....Gualala Point Campground to Bodega Dunes Campground

The day began with clouds and fog but burned off as the morning went on. By noon the sun was out and it was beautiful day with temps in the 60's.  About 10 miles in required a stop at the bakery/general store for breakfast in Stewart's Point. The rest of the day was both the most challenging and most spectacular ride of the entire trip. It included huge climbs, wild descents, winding switchbacks, little or no shoulder to ride on and steep drop offs in places where there sometimes were guardrails and sometimes not. It was completely awesome and not as scary as it sounds. Highway 1 is a surprisingly lightly traveled road so you can ride in the lane and move over when a vehicle is approaching.  Because it is so winding traffic speed is slow and they are good about waiting until they have room to pass. The 13 mile stretch from Fort Ross to Jenner was the peak of the extreme riding and tremendous fun! After the long descent into Jenner the last 9 miles to Bodega Dunes Campground were pretty tame.

The hiker/biker campsite was full tonight. In addition to Freek and Rubin from the Netherlands and Cody and Emily from Wisconsin there was David from Michigan, 2 guys from Colorado, and Inacky from Spain.

It is only one mile into the town of Bodega Bay in the morning. For those Hit chock fans you will know that is where The Birds was filmed so I am interested to  find some of those spots.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Emily and Cody
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hard to tell from the picture but these rocks are covered with sea lions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 1,046 miles (1,683 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0