Day 19... Standish Hickey to Casper Beach Campground - Rick's Solo Canada to Mexico Adventure - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2018

Day 19... Standish Hickey to Casper Beach Campground

And suddenly there was the ocean again.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Ocean and Frank at the Westport cafe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I know these ocean pictures may all seem the same but they just so beautiful I have to post them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A completely random meeting with Curt who happened to have a quart of Chocolate mint ice cream which we quickly eliminated.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's  ride started with a bang. About 1 1/2 miles in to the day I got to Leggett and began the longest climb of the entire trip. It was about 4 miles of relentless climbing which K do at between 4-4.5mph. So with a few rest breaks it took about 75 minutes but it really wasn't that bad. I am definitely much stronger than when I started. The first 20 miles were on a remote stretch of Highway 1 with no shoulder but light traffic so it was fine. Very pretty ride through forests with still some redwoods and sequoias. Then suddenly at 20 miles there was the ocean again! I could hear it before I saw it. The next 30 miles switched betwern incredible ocean views and ducking inland for a bit. As always the views are breathtaking. About 30 miles in at Westport was the first store of any kind. Bumped in to Frank and Ocean there. Out of Westport rode with Nate and Erin about 12 miles to Fort Bragg the last 5 on an amazing oceanside bike trail that I would ride every day if I lived here. We split up in Fort Bragg as they were heading about 10 miles further to another campground. Best weather day yet, bright sun and about 70! Staying at a really nice private campground tonight right on the ocean near Caspar.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 943 miles (1,518 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0