Day 15...Brookings Oregon (Harris Beach) to Elk Prairie Campground(Cal) - Rick's Solo Canada to Mexico Adventure - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2018

Day 15...Brookings Oregon (Harris Beach) to Elk Prairie Campground(Cal)

Heart 2 Comment 0
Nate and Erin...we have ridden together off and on for a few days. 2 really nice kids
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The pictures can't possibly do the redwoods justice. They are impressive!!! We'll be back in the redwoods Saturday so I'll try to get a better picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first week as I was riding down the state of Washington I saw very few other touring cyclists, maybe 1 or 2 at most. I think the reason being there are several different routes that can be ridden and no one prominent route. In Oregon it's different because there is really only one way to go and that is down the coast on Highway 101. As a result of that as I have been riding through Oregon and now today in to California something very interesting has happened. A traveling community has sort of organically developed and most nights there are anywhere from 6-12 at the campground that are traveling the same route and going about the same distance each day. Everyone kind of does their own thing during the day, maybe see each other at a coffee shop or at lunch, but at night there is a sharing of food, a fire, and lots of stories to share. The west coast campgrounds have what they call hiker/biker campsites which are in a separate area and cost 5-8 dollars per night and even if the campground is full they will never turn away a hiker or biker. So the characters are...

Curt from New Orleans.......John originally from South Dakota now lives in Joshua Tree Ca....Jalney and Allie,  a young couple from Canada...Frank a retired guy from Cambridge England...Ocean, that's all he's known by, from Corvallis Oregon and does the west coast rode every fall. His knowledge is leaned on.......Nate from Minnesota recently graduated from UM and is spending a year on his bike. He has already been to Alaska and is now riding through Mexico to Belize.....Erin, a travel nurse trying to make the Mexican border before she started a new job in Portland the end of October. And I think I've missed a couple. Quite the eclectic group to say the least and lots of fun.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 737 miles (1,186 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0