Weekend in Mantua. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2016 to August 15, 2016

Weekend in Mantua.

We share Romeo’s fate- a weekend in Mantova. Without Juliet.

August 14 Sunday 12km

August 15 Monday 

We share Romeo’s fate- a weekend in Mantova. Without Juliet.

Perhaps Shakespeare knew a thing or two when he had Romeo banished to Mantua. Without wishing to be too disparaging, I think it possibly suffers in comparison to Verona, although it is situated in the middle of two now rather weedy lakes which at one time it must have been quite picturesque. Rice is also grown in the paddy fields on either side of the road- this has given the world a wonderful ingredient for risotto and the environs plenty of mozzies. 

Over our weekend in Mantova we enjoy  cycling  the path around the lakes and also the inner city parks and the cathedral and Palazzo Ducale di Mantova, a large, dramatic edifice which was home to the Gonzaga family until they died out in the early 18th century.  Temperatures are in the high 30s and this, added to the fact that the city looks a little tired , means that we also spend some of our time watching Team Italy’s efforts at the olympics and preparing for the next leg of our journey. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint Andrea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basilica di Saint Andrea
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rotonda di San Lorenzo
Heart 1 Comment 0
Part of the canal system linking Mantua and Venice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s nice to relax and we do eat well, having found a local supermarket. Pork medallions and a bottle of Est Est Est is not to be sneezed at! 

Ann’s bike needs new tyres and so we make an exploratory trip to find the nearest Decathlon store which as usual is beyond the city limits, though it seems to be on the route to Cremona, our next destination.

Today's ride: 12 km (7 miles)
Total: 3,047 km (1,892 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0