Ventimiglia to Diano Marina. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 31, 2016

Ventimiglia to Diano Marina.

We cycle the Ligurian Coast with 24 kms of deluxe cycle path and find stony campsite overlooking the Mediterranean.



August 31 Wednesday 63kms

Ventimiglia to Diana Marina.

We cycle the Ligurian Coast with 24 kms of deluxe cycle path and find stony campsite overlooking the Mediterranean.

We farewell our kind hosts but need the vestibule downstairs, a little longer, as Michael's pannier has come adrift. The tool kit is unpacked, headlight shone and screw connection repaired. Out on street again, we see Mario again and wave, then see his wife walking their dog near river and greet her. We often find that we come across someone seen earlier, and this lessens the feeling of being a total stranger. 

Ventimiglia, early morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First sight of the Mediterranean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cycle path inviting us forth.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With details of street names in front, in the map pouch, we make good progress. Of course there is little room to get get lost, as the sea stays on the right, the hills on the left and the road and railway fit in between. Coast road traffic is close but not too fast. Up and over each promontory we ride, with spectacular views of blue Med and down to each bay edged with sun umbrellas and beach restaurants. 

Bordighera
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ospedaletti facade.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Most towns have a cycle /pedestrian path near the beach, but we have to negotiate crossing each little river, train track and areas of private beach.

Past San Remo with a gigantic liner coming in to port, we stop for a swim. (Shower available on the beach). Water fountains are also on our essentials list. Delicious pizza or focaccia squares are the lunch requirements.

First dip in the Med at Ospedaletti!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tunnels, a wonderful leftover from when the path was a train line, are not only fun to cycle through, they also offered refreshing cool from the 30 degrees outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The other feature of the tunnels is the potted biography of past cycling greats like Eddie Merckx.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Remo
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ospedaletti marks the start of a splendid cycle track which follows the old railway path and includes two tunnels over 1.5 km in length.

Bussana
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornate frontage at San Remo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This cycle path is so beautifully placed with easy access to cafes and shops and magnificent views of the coastline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bussana
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Remo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imperia - one of the most attractive towns along the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The tunnels provide relief from sun, and the 24km cycle path takes us most of the way to Diano  Marina. Yes, we can camp for one night (usually minimum 5 nights). We agree to the gravel site and receive a complimentary jar of olives!

Not a bad spot despite the stones. There is a shade cloth overhead, a water supply via an old sink, and our own little table and chairs. And the view is blue sea all the way to the horizon.

The Marmot pitched on loose stones- slightly sharp edges but plenty of give, so puncturing our groundsheet wasn’t a danger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bonus - as well as shelter, table and chairs!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bon appetit!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The beach is rocky but the water wonderful. We meet our neighbour, a very pleasant chap from Como. He has limited English but we get by. There is pasta and putanesca and olives for dinner, and as the road above the beach is closed for repair, we have a quiet night.

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 3,404 km (2,114 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0