Turin to Pinerolo. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2016

Turin to Pinerolo.

Down to the Piedmonte. First stop Pinerolo.

August 23 Tuesday 45km

Turin to Pinerolo.

Down to the Piedmonte. First stop Pinerolo.

Our ride out of town goes smoothly, thanks to Sunday’s practice run. The park is shady and the track in the wilderness dry but narrow. Once we negotiate our way to Via Stupinigi across a main road and under another, plus the railway, we are on a straight road with town traffic. 

Loading up for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through the park and following the river out of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Stupinigi itself is a grand affair. A large white neo classical style hunting lodge for the Savoy, it sits in a semicircle around formal lawns and gravelled paths. Long tenement-like buildings of brick line the avenue of trees through which we approach the lodge. Did they house the workers of the estate? As we do not see the museum the question remains. We do discover a bike trail sign behind one of them and thus enjoy some peaceful cycling until the signs disappear. 

Stupinigi- hunting lodge par excellence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stag on the roof makes focus clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pinerolo is reached by 2.30 and we rest in the first park with a water tap, until body temperature feels bearable again. The old town is walled and it’s church and tower are impressive. It was under Savoy protection until the French invaded in 1736 and remained in their control for a century or so. Like many of the towns in this border region, there is a mix of cultures and language.

The ride to Pinerolo is through pleasant countryside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Piedmonte in sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our accommodation is a farmlet out of town towards the hills. The owners are very welcoming, with excellent English. We have a beautiful room with dark wooden furniture, shuttered and cool. The donkey and geese are in the garden across the courtyard. Hay and ancient farm implements are stored in the adjoining barn where we leave our bikes.

The family Collie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sleeping in splendour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dining al fresco.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Il Baciass
Heart 0 Comment 0

We recuperate with a few cups of tea then cycle back to find dinner, which we eat on the terrace as the evening light slips behind the mountains.

 

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 3,230 km (2,006 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0