Roscoff to Cahaix - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2016

Roscoff to Cahaix

Fair stood the wind for France!

Tuesday. Hard to leave the comfort of our little cabin on the Amorique which is small but perfectly formed with its comfortable bunks and fantastic shower. When woken by the strains of a Celtic harp ditty we know it is time to move. Locating our bikes on the bottom deck we cycle onto French soil.

Way to go!
Heart 0 Comment 0

First stop, St Pol de Leon market. We need to  find space in panniers if we are to indulge in cheese and saucissons, and beautiful vegetables. A pastry concoction of custard and prunes is all we can  manage and it needs immediate consumption. Michael steps up. 

We cycle past fields of a variety of crops and follow the road for some distance until it begins to rain. Without planning to, we find ourselves on a dual carriageway and when we pull over, as if by magic the sign for the cycle path appears. We follow this to Morlaix,  distinguished by a large aqueduct which hovers above the town.

Morlaix and her aqueduct.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Midday at Morlaix. Cafe! Beside the yacht filled harbour we enjoy a coffee.

Heart 0 Comment 0

In search of velo route we leave town on the D769. At first it’s drenching rain, then sunshine, and the long hill of the Barre.

In view: artichokes,harvested cauliflowers,green-blue fields of grain, blonde Bretagne and enormous Charilais cattle, newly sown corn emerging in perfect rows.

The Monts d’arre had sounded formidable but on the D769 is just a gentle climb- we stick to the road nearly all the way to Carhaix. When we eventually turn on to the voie verte it is green and pleasant but also gritty and muddy. We reach Cahaix about five and take a hotel for 45 Euros on the main Rue. It is a reasonable room with good shower, though if your avoir was too dupois you would never get through the sliding doors. The hotel concierge douses our gritty bikes with a bucket of water before allowing us to wheel them into the hotel. We eat out on the town in a pizza takeaway full of animated young Bretons, discussing what, we are not completely sure. It has been a long day of cycling for our first French effort and we have hopes for improving weather tomorrow.

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 183 km (114 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0