Rohan to Malestroit. - Retyrement On 2 Wheels 1 - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2016

Rohan to Malestroit.

Abbey, canals and musical festivity.

June 17 Friday  

Rohan to Malestroit 56kms

Abbey, canals and musical festivity.

Slowish start packing up and breakfasting in damp drizzle but once on the path, we pick up speed, 20 kph at times. Not too fast to appreciate the “ecluses” and their boxes of geraniums,and gardens of summer flowers. These small lock keepers houses, now privately owned, are dotted along the canal.

Heart 0 Comment 0
On reflection.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Excluse with a view
Heart 0 Comment 0

There are more than 200 locks. Started in 1811 under Napoleon’s command, the route gave secure transport whilst England ruled the sea. For nine years 40,000 convicts dug out the canal, removing material equivalent to the size of the Great Pyramid. Malaria and cholera took their toll. Now there is a vision to clean up the waterway and restore its environment.

The abbey of Timadeuc is a pleasant side trip. We come into the church at end of midday prayer. There are about  20 monks and some lay retreats. Beautiful grounds. They sell honey, and have a farm, but shop closed.

Sighting the Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abbaye Timadeuc
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lunch on the last of the fruit and nuts in park beside canal, with medieval tower and walls above, then pedal up to view Josselin.

Approaching Josselin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Josselin
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Catching some welcome sunshine in Josselin.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More action on the canal with small boats, a kayak or two, and more cyclists and walkers.

Malestroit, our destination, is on the Compostela pilgrim route. We cross the river for the municipal camping and have plenty of space. The town is a musical delight with choirs, accordion bands, orchestra and solo performance.

Camping Malestroit
Heart 0 Comment 0

We enjoy our pizza and beer with a Breton group whose lively singing and accordions have  locals forming lines and circles to dance in Breton style.

Folky Breton band.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Masterclass for aspiring musicians.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hello Matelot!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church Choir.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breton houses at sunset.
Heart 0 Comment 0


The sun is setting as we leave for our campsite at 10.30pm.

 

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 350 km (217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0